Author Topic: Long gun wall hangers...  (Read 8748 times)

Offline crowbarforge

Long gun wall hangers...
« on: March 27, 2016, 03:38:27 AM »
I am going to hang a few of my long guns in my office (home office). Interested to see what some of you guys have done.  Brass hooks? Deer antler? Forged iron hardware? Wooden pegs?

Looking for a method to display the long gun and it's horn and bag in a gentlemanly and civilized manner.

Offline L. Akers

Re: Long gun wall hangers...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 04:37:23 AM »

Whatever you end up mounting the guns on, and the room is not an inside room I'd make sure they are not visible from outside the house.  A gun that is visible is an invitation.  I think I'd even try to come up with a way to secure them to the wall.  If it isn't easy to grab and go most thieves won't take the time.

The lower legs of deer with the feet bent up at 90 deg. look nice, too.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
Parks Low of Deerfield Forge in south Raleigh, NC makes some great cast iron wall hooks for longrifles.  They are hand forged of course.  If you are going to put a longrifle on any metal hooks, I'd add thick stick-back self adhesive felt to the inside to protect against bumps and bruises.  If you'd like his phone number, please drop me a line.  Happy Easter, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline rollingblock

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »
I liked the looks of the deer feet hangers also but the salt used to tan/cure the feet will start the gun to rust if any metal is exposed to them. also like justa split limb with fork works fine and can be used for hanging anything Grandpa had the harness hung from these in the barn

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 10:12:39 PM »
I use pegged racks; two vertical strips about 30" apart with pegs in them about 6" apart.   I use walnut or pine for the vertical strips and oak or hickory for the pegs.    I have these in my office and shop.   I screw them to the wall/stud, if possible.  I have solid pine paneling in my office which makes hanging things easy.  After 40 years, the paneling is starting to look like a bulletin board.    ;D

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:25:52 PM »
I do the same thing as Mark except I found a use for those thin pieces of curly maple that my stock man ships back to me after he installs the barrel and dups my patterns. They vary in thickness but I ran them through the planner to get uniform sizes then glued them on to the top of 1/2 furring strips, used maple stain on them and nailed them up like Mark described. Unless you look close you never know they aren't solid curly maple.
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:27:06 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 11:52:28 PM »
I use pegged racks; two vertical strips about 30" apart with pegs in them about 6" apart.   I use walnut or pine for the vertical strips and oak or hickory for the pegs.    I have these in my office and shop.   I screw them to the wall/stud, if possible.  I have solid pine paneling in my office which makes hanging things easy.  After 40 years, the paneling is starting to look like a bulletin board.    ;D

I do pretty much the same, but I turn "Shaker" style pegs that are glued into 5/4 material, and then have a screw into the peg fron the backside. Belt and suspenders. I made up 3 pairs of these that are fastened to the wall inside closets, above the door where you would have to go into the closet, turn around, and look up to see them. Who does that? Since my house (and closets) have 10' ceilings, I can get 5 guns comfortably into each closet above the door. I hang my two longbows in there too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:09:57 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 01:09:37 AM »
My wall hanging method is pictured in JTR’s post of April 26, 2014 retrievable from his old posts under "Member List” available to members of this site. My comments are seen in my posts around that date as well. It does what Mark’s system does, but is fully adjustable for changing gun displays and storage, and thus doesn’t turn my nice paneling into a bulletin board.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

road apples

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:46:04 AM »
As a "reformed" farrier- I  have used horseshoes wrapped with leather as wall hanging gun hooks. No luck posting the pictures...

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
I make all kinds of forged hooks for other folks to hang there rifles on but I prefer wood pegs to hang what few are hangin in my house .But the pouch and horn gets a iron hook with a wide flat to ease the stress on the straps.I keep most flinters under lock and key when I leave home that way they should be there when I get back.Curt

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »
I've made some wall gun hangers from old pewter spoons that I pick up at tag or barn sales.  I flatten out the spoons on an anvil, bend them into a "U" shape, drill a couple of holes for mounting screws and line the inside of the "U" with felt pads used on the legs of furniture to prevent marring of hardwood floors.  They look rustic, and are quite unique.  sorry no pictures to show.

Offline crowbarforge

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 03:08:15 AM »
Interesting ideas gents. I believe I will go with vertical strips and wooden pegs pf some sort, and a close by horizontal with pegs for bags/horns. Pictures when I get 'er done.

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 04:34:41 AM »
Horton's Brasses sell some brass hangers that work well. Check Horton's Brasses.com

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
Always liked this set I have, and been thinking about just making the wooden pegs for both ends.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 02:39:46 AM »
Those wooden pegs are the ones I like to use.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 05:14:53 AM »
I have used four inch sections of 1/2 inch hickory ramrod with construction screws (heads cut off) glued into them and then screwed into pilot holes in the studs .

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »
I have used four inch sections of 1/2 inch hickory ramrod with construction screws (heads cut off) glued into them and then screwed into pilot holes in the studs .

I like the way you think.
 ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 10:49:02 PM »
I should have mentioned that I drill the holes in the hickory rod about halfway through and file a couple of flats on the shank. This helps keep the screw solid after  acraglass is first run into the holes. I can turn the cured pegs into the pilot hole by hand and not had any of the screws break lose yet.