Author Topic: 'Hawk Handles  (Read 2841 times)

OldJoe

'Hawk Handles
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:01:28 AM »
Just wondering what you guys have done to your ‘hawk handles. Going to stay plain for now(just a light stain and oil). I don’t like to jump into any design too quickly, it took me over ten years before I started scratching pictures on my horns. “The Patriot’s” handle is nice but maybe a little much. It seems tacks might weaken the handle a bit. I’ve seen stripes burned in, looks OK but I’m not sure if that’s what I want. Can always do up a couple one for different occasions. Any ideas out there?

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: 'Hawk Handles
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
I've done a couple tomahawks as gifts to guys who have served as leadership the local Royal Rangers outpost.  I have typically wrapped the handle in leather lacing, and I use small brass nails for simple designs.  The wood is often so hard I have to pre-drill the holes and cut the nails down in length.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »
Oldjoe I have a  of book  American Gun by R.L.Wilson  that shows several original guns an hawks with tacks,metal inlays (brass an metal)etc. Might want to look at it. It's a recent publication. Might give you some ideas.

OldJoe

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 04:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll check that out.

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:15:23 PM »
I have seen two originals that have had the handle decorated by heating up a file and burning the wood with the pattern of the file. Looked simple but nice.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?