Author Topic: H House knife on e-bay  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Dave R

H House knife on e-bay
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:56:40 AM »
According to my niece there is a HH knife for sale on eBay, Upon viewing it I question the authenticity? Or could it possibly be one of his early pieces? I am very familiar with his work and want several opinions, What do you think?
Dave Reising

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: H House knife on e-bay
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:00:03 AM »
Dave,

I really doubt that this is a knife made by Hershel House. Is does not look like anything that Hershel would make and it does not have any touch mark. I have owned early Hershel House knives and they all had touch marks.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

jasontn

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »
got a link to it?

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »
Not Hershel's, no touchmark, and too hokey looking.  That starting bid is off by a couple decimal points.  It should be 49 cents.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:17:24 PM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 05:29:08 PM »
No way that is a Hershel House knife. Not even close!

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:44:50 PM »
Here's the reply I received a short while ago regarding any identifying marks associated with Hershel.
"I don't see any markings. I only received a handwritten note that this was made by Herschal. I will probably end the auction until I can do some more research."

He must have received more than just my inquiry. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 05:39:57 AM »
Interesting.  I am no expert but I doubt that is the real deal.  He may have herad from House himself.  If I saw my name being thrown around where he did not need to be I would speak up.  I was interested in seeing the knife because I thought it might still be a neat piece, but it is not.

Coryjoe

Offline Dave R

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »
Hershel phoned me today and I described the knife to him and he wants a picture! I will send him one, I am afraid the easy going guy will get his goat up when he sees this fake!
Dave Reising

tuffy

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 08:24:55 AM »
I had sent the guy a link to this page this morning telling him to check out what knowledgeable people were saying about his knife. Then Gary sent him an email with questions. He removed the knife from eBay shortly after that. :-\

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »
I didn't receive a reply to my question to this fellow. I suppose he got so many negative comments he didn't want to address them.

voyageur1688

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 02:34:56 AM »
 That is not a House knife in my opinion. I am an occasional amateur knife maker (only do a few a year for friends or family) and it looks more like what I would have done when I first started out.
 Todd

Offline papoe

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »
The ebay add reads, "Small Custom Made Bowie Knife Stag Hershal House Ky", not Hershel House Ky.
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected. HDThoreau

tuffy

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »
That just tells me that he can't spell either!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline papoe

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 07:26:57 AM »
Or he hopes we can't spell!  I think someone is making sure to cover his a$$ when the scam is outed.
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected. HDThoreau

rdillon

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 07:52:11 PM »
Not a House knife for sure!!!!!!!!  I guess anyone can sell fake stuff on ebay.

david64

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 12:17:29 AM »
I didn't think that links directing one to an offsite sale were allowed on this forum? Or at least that it was I was told. Not that I mind it just seems if one can't do it then none should do it.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 12:49:08 AM »
David, i am pretty sure that they are allowed with the understanding that the person posting the link has no stake in the sale of the item, this for instance was linked to to get opinions on the item in question, im sure a moderator will clear us both up if i am mistaken
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

david64

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 01:17:08 AM »
Zack

I did that once where I was CLEARLY not the seller nor had any interests in the item and they were VERY UPSET that I did that.  I think it just depends on who you are or at least it did in my situation.