Author Topic: Extraordinary Historic Pistols  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Extraordinary Historic Pistols
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »
A cased pair of presentation pistols made by Nicholas Noel Boutet with very historic ownership's coming to auction later this month.  http://www.gizmag.com/chrisities-flintlock-pistols-auction-record/42584/
Joel Hall

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Extraordinary Historic Pistols
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:09:49 AM »
Joel,
Buy them! Beautiful pair.
Buck

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 05:50:57 PM »
I don't get the connection to Washington. They were made 25 years after Washington died. Is it "Lafayette knew Washington"... if so, that's idiotic. Its "I knew someone who knew someone therefore we're connected" — something like a historical Linkedin.

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
There really isn't a connection to Washington other than the previous pistols that sold for record prices were apparently presented to him by Lafayette who is said to have presented this pair to Simon Bolivar.  They say it is not a dueling set, but from what I can see they have attributes of French dueling pistols from the period such as set triggers, fixed sights, and likely a fairly large caliber.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
I think they are quite right in saying they aren't "dueling pistols". In fact, where French or other continental pistols are concerned, the term is constantly over-used. Duels could, and were, fought with all sorts of pistols but the purpose-built pistol for dueling is a largely British convention. There are a host of reasons for having a pair of pistols... most pistols were sold as pairs and many of these were cased, if only for the convenience of having a place to put them when they weren't in your overcoat pockets or saddle holsters. I doubt any of these over-the-top Boutet pistols were intended for any functional purpose other than to be impressive. For that matter, has anyone ever seen a set of presentation Boutet pistols that were in other than new condition?

eddillon

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 03:51:41 AM »
Here are pix of the plainest Boutet I have seen.  Still elegant.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:03:24 AM »
I think those would be considered a pair of officer's holster pistols. Boutet made  quite a few arms other than the well-known presentation sets and was enough of a trend-setter that other French (more often Belgian) makers copies his style. I've seen some very elaborate French doubles other than Boutet's that were clearly well used, including one that surfaced in Massachusetts about 30 years ago, straight from the Beacon Hill home of an American diplomat who was stationed in France c.1800–1805.

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 05:10:52 AM »
Two views of the same pistol.  I agree, French officer's pistol.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 10:37:17 PM »
Joel
Steve Boyleson ask me to give you the auction results on the Historic Pistols.. He said they sold at Christies this week for $ 1,805,000.00 .  A wee bit above my price range !!   Louie

eddillon

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:08:26 AM »
Zounds!!  Sounds like a new record price.  I hope the new custodian is happy.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 01:53:48 AM »
Thank you Louie for relaying Steve's message.  Tell him that I just had to have them and took Noel's advise above.   ;D
Joel Hall