Author Topic: Good touch-hole liners??  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Bigmon

Good touch-hole liners??
« on: April 07, 2016, 12:54:16 AM »
I drilled and taped my barrel for a 1/4 X 28 liner, then discovered the liner I had doesn't have threads the fill length and will not work.
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good liner that is 1/4 X 28 and has threads the entire length?

I see one on TOW that should work and it has a lug for a wrench  similiar to the LIGHTNING that Chambers sells.
Anyone familiar with these??
Thanks
I guess I should look before I leap?

Offline Scota4570

Re: Good touch-hole liners??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:06:06 AM »
Make one out of a grub screw?

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 01:09:28 AM »
I used the T/C touch hole liners ( 1/4-28) for years with no problems. The one your looking at would
be fine. You can cone the inside a little more before you install it, if it needs it.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
The TC liner is alao the one I been using.
That is why I drilled and taped for it.
But when I tried to use it I discovered that since the threads do not run the entire length it wouldn't work because the wall thickness of the barrel is not enough.
The barrel is a Colerain .62 cal rifle and if I run the liner in to the chamfer that goes against the inside of the barrel I basically run out of threads.
So it will not work.   
I need one with threads the entire length.
TOW has one #THL-S4W that looks like it would work well.
There is a local gun builders show near here Saturday and maybe I can get one there?

I really liked the TC cause of the Allen Wrench indent.
Thanks

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
Go to a hardware store and buy a 1/4-28 allen set screw.  Some vendors call it a "socket" set screw.  Buy one longer than your barrel thickness, drill a 1/16 hole down the center, then cut the length down to fit, then cone the inside.  Install/remove with an allen wrench.  The flash channel is sorta shaped like an hourglass.  Very fast.

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Socket-Set-Screw-Cup-Point-1-4-28-Stainless-Steel-p/66000.htm

-Ron
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:05:04 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
 What about the Chambers liners? Doesn't Jim make a 1/4-28 liner? His white lightning liner is the best I've ever used.

Hungry Horse

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 05:39:14 PM »
What about the Chambers liners? Doesn't Jim make a 1/4-28 liner? His white lightning liner is the best I've ever used.

Hungry Horse

No 1/4" x 28 liners.  Jim Chamber's White Lightning vent liners listed on the website are:

3/8" x 32 for 1 1/16" or larger barrels #THL-01
5/16" x 32 for 7/8" & 1" barrels #THL-02
1/4" x 32 for 7/8" and smaller barrels #THL-03

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »
Would drilling it out for a 5/16 or 3/8 white lightning liner work?

Online Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »
TOW has their own version of the White Lightening liner threaded at 1/4 X 28.  It is what I would use.  It is non-removable to discourage folks from taking the liner in and out when it isn't needed.   I have used them as replacement for the horrible ones that used an Allen wrench to install.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »
Lucky RA, is this the # for the TOW liner,  THL-S4W

Offline bgf

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 10:56:43 PM »
Lucky RA, is this the # for the TOW liner,  THL-S4W

I use the slotted version of this one in three rifles (need to replace occasionally in match rifles).  They work well, though the original hole drilled in them is too small sometimes, and they need opened up a little.  They are about as coned internally as possible with the thread and shank size.  White Lightning uses finer thread to maximize internal chamber, but if you have 1/4-28 hole already, these work great!

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
Thanks to you all, great in-put.
I was going to make one from a set screw, but a set screw does not have that small shoulder that would stop the screw from going completley thru the barrel.
I know I could make it work, but the gun is for a friend and I have no idea who may someday try removing and re-installing the liner, and maybe go in to far.
My first mistake was in taping it whole way thru.
In the past I have stopped the threads a little short of entirely thru, then the screw / liner could only go so far.
But I see that TOW has basically the same thing as the LIGHTNING but in 1/4 X 28 threads which will work perfectly I think.
Thanks again to all