Author Topic: Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer - correct loads?  (Read 6195 times)

Naphtali

Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer - correct loads?
« on: April 05, 2016, 06:53:31 PM »
A few days ago when the weather was delightful I had intended to take my unfired Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer (percussion) to the range for its first shots. I checked my downloaded Pedersoli SUGGESTED BLACK POWDER LOADS Acrobat file - nothing listed for this derringer or their screw barrel box lock Liège Derringer. I emailed Pedersoli for load data.

Pedersoli's load recommendation is: .451" round ball with .010" patch, 9 grs. of FFFFg

While my experience with Pedersoli's recommended loads for their Kodiak Safari is that loads are extremely modest, this derringer recommendation seems unusually modest.
Their Philadelphia Derringer is about one-half the weight of the common Jukar derringer, nearly identical in size to original Henry Deringer pistol used to murder Lincoln - but .45-caliber rather than .41-caliber. Quality of assembly and fit is excellent.

Those who have experience with this derringer, or comparably small Italian-made derringers, such as Palmetto of the turn of the millenium, please furnish safe, but less modest loading data.

I request data because I had intended loading with 15-20 grains Goex FFFg with .451-inch RB before it began snowing again. Now I'm unsure what to load.

Offline bigsmoke

Re: Pedersoli Philadelphia Derringer - correct loads?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:32:21 PM »
Over the years, it has been my observation that their load recommendations are terribly modest as well.

I would think it is their lawyers who are writing their data rather than their ballisticians.

So, I would think it is off to the range time.  Start with the 9 grains and shoot groups of three shots.  then increase it by a couple of grains and try it again.  Frankly, I would be going for manageable recoil rather than accuracy.

The .45 Colt cartridge was designed for minimal loads of 28 grains, so that is where I believe I would top off.  Sorry to say I do not have any real world experience with that pistol, but I am thinking that 15 grains would no doubt be a pretty nice load for the little firearm.

Looking forward to a range report on this little gem.

John

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:47:09 PM »
I used to have one and loaded it with 15 grains of 3f.  Aiming dead center at one of those 1/2 man sized pistol targets, it sprayed balls all over the place and many times missed the whole target.  This was at only 10 yards.  It's a belly gun.  I peddled it off knowing it would never be my carry gun for close up work.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »
LOL - Dave -

My Deringer is .45 and I useabout 35gr. of 3F and a tightly patched round ball, of course.

At 10', the ball bounced off a 2x4 and hit me in the chest.

According to the US Army of 1800, a dent 3/8" deep in pine could produce a lethal wound in a man. The dent in the pine was a good 3/8" deep, however this gun would not be my first choice as a 'carry gun' either.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 02:36:11 PM »
If all a .45 derringer will do is dent a piece of pine at ten yards.
I would carry two rocks.
Faster follow up shots, more energy, same accuracy.
The only real use for a derringer, is to neuter one's self.
(Edited to meet ALR rules)
Fred
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:30:12 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:28:24 PM »
Gentlemen,

I have removed several off-topic replies from this thread.  This is the Black Powder Shooting forum and the original post asked for load data for a .45 caliber derringer.  Please confine your responses to loading and shooting info.  Thanks.

-Ron
ALR Moderator
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:40:02 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Naphtali

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
Many thanks to all of you. The weather has turned delightful. Tomorrow will be interesting. I will be wearing a leather welding glove and shooting the first shots right-handed rather than leftie because you never can tell.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:14:20 PM »
  Don't feel I could get along with missing either hand!!!!!Would make loading a challenge at best, and what says all the barrel chunks go down range or off in a direction away from me..NO when in doubt DON'T.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 01:17:49 AM »
Many thanks to all of you. The weather has turned delightful. Tomorrow will be interesting. I will be wearing a leather welding glove and shooting the first shots right-handed rather than leftie because you never can tell.

tie it down and remote trip it is an option too.
Hold to the Wind