Author Topic: Breech Plug Removal  (Read 5622 times)

Bob Rearley

Breech Plug Removal
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:42:07 PM »
This is a new pistol barrel I'm trying to remove the plug from to begin inletting the barrel.  I have tried everything I can think of and I can't make this sucker budge.  Any Ideas?  Is there anybody in the Phoenix, Az. area who might give me a hand?  I know I can send it back to the builder, but that's too easy.  At this point I don't think anyone can get it off.  I'm using a 15 inch Cresent Wrench and hammering it with a pipe wrench.

Thanks, Bob

George F.

Re: Breech Plug Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:00:04 AM »
I have used a 3' pipe over the handle to increase leverage. I have also used a torch to remove siezed nuts on bolts BUT NOT ON A GUN BARREL. I don't know if using a torch on the breech to expand the hole enough to slightly release it's grip would be an accecptable procedure on a barrel.  ...Geo.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:20:43 AM by George F. »

Offline Benedict

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:15:52 AM »
Be sure you are not gripping the barrel in the vise around the plug itself.  This will squeeze the barrel on to the plug so that the plug will not move.  Grip the barrel back a ways from the plug.

Good Luck.

Bruce

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:20:17 AM »
Are you clamping the threaded portion of the barrel in the vise? If so, you are increasing the pressure on the threads, and the plug, effectively locking the plug in place.

Move the barrel out a coupla inches from the breech, soak the breech in Kroil, or other GOOD penetrating oil and unscrew the breech. Ed's red is a good home made penetrating oil that will help. Ed's red is equal parts of ATF, odorless mineral spirits, and odorless K1 kerosene.

And remember "righty tighty, lefty loosey".  :D

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 12:27:30 AM »
Is the vent liner installed already?  If so, take a ramrod and stick it down the barrel.  Mark where the breechplug face is.  Then move to the outside of the barrel and look at that in relationship to the vent liner placement. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Bob Rearley

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:35:09 AM »
I'm clamping about 3/4 of an inch from the breech end of the barrel.  No vent in yet.  The barrel is fresh out of the box.  I tried some heat.  I was thinking of putting the barrel in the freezer for a while with the idea that the barrel would warm faster,therefore expanding and taking the pressure off of the plug.  What do you think?

Offline Benedict

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »
It might not hurt to try clamping a little farther back.

How about some penetrating oil?  Here I am grasping at straws.

Bruce

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:40 AM »
What is the make of the barrel? Size, caliber, out of curiosity?
I'd like to unbreech my Pedersoli but have considerable angst about that effort.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 02:17:17 AM »
Bob- I am not sure who the manufacturer is of the pistol barrel is but they might have used "lock tight" or some other compound in the breech threads. If this is the case you will have to use a little heat applied to the breech to remove the plug. However do not heat too much-only about 250 degrees.  This will not hurt the metal any and it should be enough to enlarge the female threads which will in turn allow you to unscrew the male plug.  Make sure that the barrel is well protected in the jaws of the vise and clamped about 1-2" away from the breech plug.  I use a pair of aluminum blocks to grab the barrel with when it is in the vise. These gives good grip and they will not mar the barrel.   Good luck,  Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 02:42:58 AM »
I use a set of copper jaws in the vise, but still have a bit of trouble getting a good grip on a tapered barrel. Every factory plug I have ever dealt with has been what I would think excessively tight. Of course better too tight than not enough, but I still wonder at the wisdom of "pre-stressing" a part that you are going to put about 15K  on. The last one I had was a Green River that I had the supplier breech for me, since this rifle was for someone else and the $15 charge seemed more than reasonable. The only way I got this one out was to squirt some stuff called "Kroil" down the bore. It is a penetrating oil that they call a creeping oil, hence the name. Once the plug is out put a dab of lithium grease on the threads and it will seat much better than it came out.

BTW prior to pulling the plug don't forget to put a witness mark on the bottom flat if it doesn't have one.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 05:38:12 AM »
This is a new pistol barrel I'm trying to remove the plug from to begin inletting the barrel.  I have tried everything I can think of and I can't make this sucker budge.  Any Ideas?  Is there anybody in the Phoenix, Az. area who might give me a hand?  I know I can send it back to the builder, but that's too easy.  At this point I don't think anyone can get it off.  I'm using a 15 inch Cresent Wrench and hammering it with a pipe wrench.

Thanks, Bob
Heat breech to 400-450 degrees. If it has been bonded this should release the locktite or even epoxy.
I would contact the maker.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:58:02 AM »
Bob, all good advice above. BUT, the reason it's so hard to remove is that the plug is a jam fit. Grn. Mtn. barrels, for example, don't cut full threads to the base.  Don't ask me why. Tough steel, great job on the bore, won more records at Friendship than any other (price and dirt common}, but they still have to be good. And they can't manage this simple thing. 
I have taps in all the common sizes I've ground to full threads.  Even if you manage to get the @!*% thing out, it will be just as hard the next time.  With full threads , it should release easily. I've often "rolled" expensive barrels a flat or two simply by cutting the threads to full depth. IE, they're tight but don't really bottom.
I always retap a breech and see what happens. It actually makes the building process easier and the product  much better.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »
Shades of TC and the machine installed breech.
Back in the day some people broke the patent breech off at the threads trying to get them out.
Don't know about now.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine