Author Topic: turkeys with rifle?  (Read 13712 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

turkeys with rifle?
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
A lot of talk this time of year about shot loads and patterns for turkey. Any one hiunting turkey with rifles and patched round balls? Rifles are legal for turkey in WV. I am thinking about taking my .40 this year if I get a chance at a spring gobbler. Any input on best shot placement for turkey with rifle?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

bkb

Re: turkeys with rifle?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »
Here in Pa. only shotguns in the spring, I built a half stock out of cherry with a Colerain 38" turkey barrel which works really good, but in the fall you can use rifles. I take my 40 cal. Tenn. out (people laugh) but I have a good time.  Just got to pick your shot. 

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
I know that Gary Tingler on here shot a turkey last year with his Woodbury .40 caliber.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
Illegal in Iowa...probably most other states as well. I would think any squirrel rifle would be ideal for the task.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:23:11 PM »
I'd think most any aiming point that would work with a bow would work with a rifle, depending on whether the bird was facing you, walking away, broadside, etc.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:38:28 PM »
I have taken four with ML rifles. 3-40s and 1-58. All but one of the 40s were within 25 yds. Head and neck shots at that range.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »
Illegal in Iowa...probably most other states as well. I would think any squirrel rifle would be ideal for the task.

Not legal in TN, another law I don't understand.  I think I'll hitup the assembly(state legis. body) with a M/L exception for the rule, roundball only ;D .
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:28:10 PM »
There is always the good ole Texas heart shot...... ::) ;D

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

HAWKEN

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
Not legal in TN, another law I don't understand.  I think I'll hitup the assembly(state legis. body) with a M/L exception for the rule, roundball only ;D .
[/quote]

I'm with you brother, it doesn't make sense to me.  I would love to be able to take one with my .32 Crockett.......robin   ???

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 08:49:29 PM »
Legal in my part of Texas but not in areas where state is trying to expand their range. Base of wing has worked for bow w Snuffer heads, wife's .243, 22 LR and .40 flint.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 11:20:32 PM »

Not legal in KY either.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 12:44:48 AM »
Reason for no rifles in Michigan. Is because most hunters are in camo. Rifles can shoot a long ways. Which means if your shooting across a small field. You could hit an unseen Hunter in the wood lot. That was the explanation from the DNR. An yes there's opinions both ways. Safety is there main concern.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 01:11:47 AM »
Reason for no rifles in Michigan. Is because most hunters are in camo. Rifles can shoot a long ways. Which means if your shooting across a small field. You could hit an unseen Hunter in the wood lot. That was the explanation from the DNR. An yes there's opinions both ways. Safety is there main concern.

Very sound reasoning in my opinion!  The fun in turkey hunting is trying to call them in close, no need for a rifle if you do that.

~Tony

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 01:53:49 AM »
It is because hunters shoot hunters! Since regulation in Va of no turkeys during deer rifle season mistaken hunter being shot is really rare. Adrenalin does unfortunate things to mankind. I have killed turkeys with my .45 and little damage to bird, except it killed them. Turkeys are legal Thanksgiving day but not rest of deer season. I know of one old curmudgeon that killed Toms every Spring with a shot gun using a slug - he always shot off the Tom' s HEAD!!!!!!!

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 02:49:38 AM »
I can see the safety view point.  Too many hunters shoot at sound and movement without first identifying their targets and what may be beyond. So focused for the trophy without much thought of pass through or errant shots.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 03:45:26 AM »
Safety is a good reason alright but we trust our fellow hunters to hunt safely when doing other types of hunting, preaching to the choir here but we all need to identify our targets before we shoot.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 04:22:34 AM »
In Colorado,  not legal in spring but legal in the fall.

I have always intended to pursue them in the fall with a .45 but there is so much other hunting going on that I just never get to it.
Mike Lee

D. Bowman

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
Legal here in Pennsylvania in the fall season.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 05:15:13 AM »
Here in B.C. turkeys firearms are smoothbores or rimfires.  For me that includes ML rifles, but I've never heard of anyone charged - yet.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

wvbuckbuster

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
Hello fellow Mt ER. I have used my .40 for turkey here in WV.  Used 25grs. 3F .395 ball w/pillow tick patch and shot them thru the wing butts. DRT   Also have used my .50 same results just more powder.  Go take it and have a good time. Dan.

Steve-In

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 11:18:27 PM »
With the way the new generation of dedicated turkey guns with the Hevi-Shot and tight chokes pattern they might as well use rifles.
From all I have read on rifle hunting for turkeys I do not believe that there will be much expansion of rifle seasons.  Too much opposition from hunters.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:38:18 AM »

I'm with you brother, it doesn't make sense to me.  I would love to be able to take one with my .32 Crockett.......robin   ???
[/quote]

I am with you guys...
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »

As long as it's me doing the shooting I'm good with turks and rifles. I just worry about the judgement and ability of other people in the field and me not getting shot! Seems like it's bad enough with shotguns here in Iowa, there is a story every year where someone gets shot because he was down range of another  shooter and was unseen.

I'd still like to see rifle legalized though. Maybe nothing bigger than a .22 LR for cartridge and nothing bigger than a .40 for ML.

I am with you guys...
[/quote]
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 09:03:55 PM »
Here in Maryland no rifles in spring or late winter season, but yes in the fall season in the three western counties (mountains).  When they added the winter season a couple years ago I talked to the turkey biologist at the various meetings and tried to get small caliber muzzleloaders added for that  (3 days in late January) but couldn't get them to budge.  Woulda been fun, but oh well...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Hadden West

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 03:06:48 AM »
I've shot several fall turkey with rifles. Aim right at top of wing joint, and you will drop the turkey, in it's tracks. In straight on shots aim just below the base of the neck. The breast on a wild turkey lays low, much lower than people think. You will not blood shot a turkey, like other animals. I've taken several with .50 cal. Not my first choice, but the season used to run in conjunction with early muzzle loading. I prefer a .36 caliber. round ball. Spring gobbler is traditional shotgun, but in Va. a pistol or rifle is legal.