Author Topic: Douglas XX muzzleloading barrel  (Read 7402 times)

patkinson

Douglas XX muzzleloading barrel
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
I recently bought a 44 inch 13/16 40cal. Douglas XX barrel.  However, the barrel is marked on the muzzle end with the following marks :  XX  66  40, but there is no marking on the flats.  Does anyone know why there is no name on one of the flats? Thanks.   Phil

Offline FlintFan

Re: Douglas XX muzzleloading barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
All that a XX barrel was, is one that they were lucky enough that there was no run out (i.e. one end has the bore off center).  On their standard barrels, they marked the flat with the most run out so you knew what flat to put down.  On a XX barrel it doesn't matter.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:40:12 PM by FlintFan »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »
exactly, but- seem to me I recall the markings were on the butt end, not the muzzle.  XX meant premium ie: no runnout and 60" twist, .40 cal.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:08:33 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:53:22 PM »
The ones they made for Golden Age Arms were not marked Douglas and had 7 grooves.

chubby

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 01:22:26 AM »
I have a couple Douglas xx barrels and they are marked on the muzzle end. you can file stamps out or shortin if ya want!!    Chubby

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 01:47:33 AM »
 Double X does mean no run out, which is why it isn't stamped Douglas on the breech. They aways stamped the breech so you knew which flat to put on the bottom. The numbers on the muzzle are the caliber, and rate of twist.
 I have a 15/16" .45 with a 1 in 66 twist, it is marked Douglas on the breech. The run out is so slight, that you can hardly see it with your naked eye. They recommended you cut an inch, or two off the muzzle to eliminate any irregularities caused by unsupported tool run out, when the rifling was done.

Hungry Horse

eddillon

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 01:53:39 AM »
Built several Hawkens in the '70s and '80s.  Used Douglas XX 66 54.  All were muzzle marked.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
A 66 sure seems slow for a .40.
  I had a great shooting XX .32 many years ago, very good barrels.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

rhbrink

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »
Mike was your 32 a 66 inch twist as I understand it that is the only twist that they made with the Douglas name in it? Just curious? All the Golden Age barrels that I have seen had 7 grooves with a 48 inch twist.

Richard

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
Mike was your 32 a 66 inch twist as I understand it that is the only twist that they made with the Douglas name in it? Just curious? All the Golden Age barrels that I have seen had 7 grooves with a 48 inch twist.

Richard
Beats me, it was 30 years ago..... :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 04:28:02 PM »

Richard

Richard,

I've heard it before and I think you're right in that 66 inch twist is the only twist they made with a Douglas name on it.  I have a .36 with a 66 inch twist that is stamped Douglas. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

DFHicks

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 07:47:41 PM »
I have a slightly off center .32 Douglas which has the flat to be on the bottom stamped.  I always thought it was 60" twist but you all are right I'm sure.  I knew an avid ML shooter who had rifle with one of these barrels and he said it was very accurate.  I bought it in the mid-70's as a "second" from a vendor who had picked up a number of various caliber Douglas barrels and was selling them at half price.  So I paid $30.00  for it.  Fast forward to now and I am building a rifle with it.  There is some question as to if Douglas ever sold "seconds" to anybody.
Greg

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 08:39:52 PM »
 I think Douglas made unmarked barrels for other companies (maybe Dixie, or Numrich ) that were 1 in 48" twist. I have seen barrels marked like a Douglas on the muzzle, with other companies names on the breech.
 A friend was the manager of Cali'Co hardwoods in Windsor California when they were producing stocks for Thompson center for their Hawken's and Seneca rifles. He built a gun from reject stock, and second hand parts, but used a Douglas .45 cal. 1 in 66" twist barrel. He was might hard to outshoot with that gun, but complained that it took a lot of powder to make it shoot well.

Hungry Horse