Author Topic: 1 plus 1 equals one  (Read 4436 times)

Offline Gaeckle

1 plus 1 equals one
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »
Used two horns to put together a horn,,,,,rustic sort of affair

Fun little project. I've got a pile of old horns that by themselves really can't be mde into anything, but combined they take on a life of their own.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: 1 plus 1 equals one
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:28:03 PM »
Unique, I've never seen one of those before. How did you seal up around the two horns? I have a bunch of those horns that I didn't know what to do with so now I have an option.

rogerpjr

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:52:27 PM »
I have what may be a couple silly questions.  When putting pins or nails in the horn to hold the two pieces together (or to put on horn rings) do the pins or nails just stick out inside the horn or do you somehow bend or peen them over on the inside?  Also, is any type of glue used as well?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 10:32:44 PM »
Thats a first for me but it looks good. I like it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:33:10 PM »
 Looks right John, well done, I like it.

Tim

eseabee1

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 11:57:04 PM »
I like the rustic look

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 04:55:47 AM »
I like the look and you did yourself proud. This sort of repair or use of horns shows up every now and then in the originals and it has always interested me.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
I have what may be a couple silly questions.  When putting pins or nails in the horn to hold the two pieces together (or to put on horn rings) do the pins or nails just stick out inside the horn or do you somehow bend or peen them over on the inside?  Also, is any type of glue used as well?

Nothing silly about the questions. When I make one of these 'combo' horns the pins, nailsn whatever I use protrude into the interior. I drill the holes smaller than the diameter of the pin, that way the pin is forced or swedged into the hole and has a hard time working it's way out.

I use glue, Titebond, smeared liberly on the inside of the top most horn. The glue will help in holding the two together and makes a somewhat airtight (but not always) seal. I make sure to rough the interior of the top horn and the exterior of the bottm horn on their mating surfaces...a little insurance for the glue to hold onto something.

After the glue has dried I use a heat gun to heat the joint as I smear on tiolet bowl wax ring (unused of coarse) The wax ring is very pliable and the heat allows it to flow and make a water tight as well as an airtight bond.

That's about it.....I'm pretty sure that Tim Crosby does about the same when combining two horns.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
I like it REAL well.
Nothing fancy, but elegant in it's own rustic way.
Good Job.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:22 PM »
like a lot.  thanks!
Hold to the Wind