Author Topic: "Folk Art" question  (Read 2455 times)

DFHicks

"Folk Art" question
« on: April 27, 2016, 03:32:35 AM »
The pictures are missing now but there was one showing the inlay embedded in a light blue material.  Was that Bondo (Bondex)?
Also the wood seemed to be flat & not shaped a bit to fit the contour of the inlay.  This inlay perhaps doesn't have much curve.  But would you shape the wood first say with a PB filial?  I had guessed when reading other engraving threads that the piece would be inletted and then held in place by some means.  It looks like I misinterpreted the comments.
Thanks,
Greg

Offline PPatch

Re: "Folk Art" question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:29:41 AM »
Bondo is one of the materials used as backing for parts to be engraved. When you're done a bit of heat will release the piece.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:40:14 AM »
The wood need not be shaped to match the contour of the inlay. It is only a means to clamp the piece in the vice for doing the engraving.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:05:43 AM »
I set the work piece onto a block of wood with Bondo. I then clamped that block with the workpiece held fast by the Bondo in my vice and engraved the item. The inlay is flat and I used a piece of wood to make the contour of the cheeck piece. The wood doesn't mar the engraving.

When I inlet the item it isn't perfectly flush, it will stand proud just a tad. That way I don't file into the engraving. I think if I set the inlay into the stock, then engraved it, I would have issues with the convex surface and I would not get the affect I was hoping to achieve. I really don't know any other way to do that.

DFHicks

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:31:32 AM »
Thanks for the explanation on this matter.  It's actually simpler than I thought.  Still I have a ways to go with my engraving skills.
Greg