Author Topic: Touchhole diameter and accuracy  (Read 15329 times)

Daryl

Re: Touchhole diameter and accuracy
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 01:49:04 AM »
I guess I'm solidly with Darkhorse on vent size. I drill out the vents to .070", some .0075 over 1/16".  Perhaps I should get the Bevel Bros. to send me their whitelightnings after they replace them - too bad they get obliterated when changing.  Oh well, that happens with the best of the best.  On the .45, with it's 'White' Lightning ignition, I think I'll try a 'factory' liner for accuracy off the bench and see what happens. I'll have a 'pin-vice' handy with a .070" if ignition doesn't suit my purposes for offhand, though.  I've been able to consistently hold 1" and generally 1/2" with the .40 off the bags & using a .070" vent.  My pistol, with it's small J. Bailes lock, greatly increased ignition with a drill-out to .070".  I figure sub-3/4" off the bags at 25 yards pretty good for 5 from a .45 pistol! The larger hole doesn't seem to hurt either to .40 nor the pistol.
  Thanks for a most excellent produce, Jim.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:08:52 PM by Daryl »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 02:54:54 AM »
1/16" over a log might be fine but offhand It doesn't work for me with anything over a .40 caliber.
I want reliability and super fast ignition and I drill out one number at a time until I get what I want. I don't see a problem with replacing a WL liner when it needs it.
So what if I get some velocity variation. It affects my accuracy a whole lot less than hangfires and slow ignition while the gun wobbles all over the target.

If a 1/16"  is too slow you have other problems.
I would have to check the 16 bore to see what size it is but properly done like a WL or similar there is little difference, nothing a human could detect anyway.
See Pletchers vent tests.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

erdillonjr

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 07:19:38 PM »
I had a chunk gun with a large touch hole that wouldnt shoot untill I put in a different size

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »
The platinum nipples are 65 I guess ::)

But platinum is 1200 an ounce +-

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
The platinum nipples are 65 I guess

They are up to $80 now.

But platinum is 1200 an ounce
Considering that only about 2 centimeters of platinum wire are actually used to line the nipple, the cost of the platinum is neglegible.  You could line 75 nipples with 6" of wire.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 04:18:56 AM »
You could line 75 nipples with 6" of wire.

Most of what you pay for is labor.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 05:27:41 AM »
Labor and "know how" or the knowledge/ability to do it.  You have to pay for knowledge – which is only fair.

Reminds me of a story from back on the prairies.

Farmer has problems with his threshing machine.  Just will not run right.  So he calls the dealer and they send out a man.  Guy walks around the machine for a few minutes, then walks over to a bolt and tightens it up half a turn.  Machine now works perfectly.  The guy hands the farmer a bill for $100.  The farmer freaks and says, “$100 – for tightening only one bolt half a turn!”

Guy looks at him and says, “No.  I only charged you a dollar for tightening the bolt.  I charged you $99 for knowing WHICH bolt to tighten”.

Or in this case, knowing HOW to line the nipples/pan.

You pay for knowledge - which is only fair.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:28:33 AM by Brian Dancey »
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »
in this case, knowing HOW to line the nipples/pan.
You pay for knowledge - which is only fair.

Actually you don't.  You pay for the labor as Acer said.  It doesn't just involve taking an available nipple and lining it.  The $80 price tag includes making/turning the nipple as well as the materials involved.  Also you must send your breech so that the nipple can be matched to it.  They are gun specific.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:14:21 PM by TOF »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »
Righto, Dave, Those guys get very scientific. Just putting in a platinum nipple is like buying a Jaguar carburetor for your Pinto, hoping to get instant results.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
Just putting in a platinum nipple is like buying a Jaguar carburetor for your Pinto, hoping to get instant results.

Depends on whether they are Webers or not.  Pintos CAN be made to run.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 10:08:51 PM »
I have seen a Southern rifle and I do believe by a southern builder (contemporary) with 2 touchholes side by side that kinda blew my mind.  Go figure. ::)

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 02:58:53 AM »
A lot of guys would end up with a touch hole that was worth more than their whole gun.  Ha!

I've seen some guns like that...