Author Topic: ALR Museum.....Mose Specht rifle  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Don Getz

ALR Museum.....Mose Specht rifle
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:02:56 AM »
Hurricane.....take a look at this really neat Snyder county rifle, made by Mose Specht of Beavertown.    I did some restoration on it, replaced about 8 silver inlays and repaired a break up by rear entry pipe.....Don

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: ALR Museum.....Mose Specht rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:56:11 AM »
Nice rifle Don.
I assume you replaced the silver inlays.. More than one ol' rifle is now missing the silver. I guess they continued to be useful even after their useful life was over, by supplying a little money from the inlays.
Any pics of the comb plate? Or the rest of the rifle?
John
John Robbins

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:57:36 AM »
Don, a neat rifle for sure. I'd like to see more myself.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »
Hey Don-Let's have a closer look at this beauty! This is the nicest percussion Upper Susq rifle that I have seen. Man, it is a dandy. Guns like this one are what people think of when the mention of a Kentucky Rifle comes up. Whatever you did to fix it up is undetectable, so you have the 'touch'. Thanks Don, for posting it even if you don't show more of it.
Regards-Dick

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »
This was one of the nicest Snyder County guns I think I have ever seen.  So trim and neat.   I replaced the three inlays
on the left side of the wrist, the crescent moon on top of the wrist, and three of the same out along the barrel.  It was
broken completely off just in front of the entry pipe....not a real clean break, edges were rounded off.  I used some epoxy to repair the break which filled in those rounded voids....not the greatest repair...didn't look too bad.  Mose Specht was
one of three brothers who lived and worked in Beavertown...same town as our barrel shop.  Brothers were Adam, Elias,
and Mose.   Elias built more guns than either of his brothers, and there are quite a few of them owned in Beavertown.
I now live in the town of McAlisterville, which is on the south side of the shade mountain, about 12 miles from Beavertown.
The Mose Specht rifle was brought to me by a gentleman who lives on the west end of town, and a gentleman who lives
on the east end of town has a nice Adam Specht rifle, complete with bag and horn.....neither one will sell them....Don

rdillon

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »
As always your work is beautful!!!!!!!!!  I can't wait to actually see this in person.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:39:36 PM »
This was one of the nicest Snyder County guns I think I have ever seen.  So trim and neat. 

a gentleman who lives
on the east end of town has a nice Adam Specht rifle, complete with bag and horn.....neither one will sell them....Don

That is a dandy rifle. Like others, I certainly would like to see more photos.

Hmmmm, would the gentleman who owns the rifle with bag and horn allow photos to be placed in the library?

Just kinda thinkn'...typn' out loud, so to speak...type.

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 03:37:28 AM »
An interesting Upper Susquehanna rifle, Don.  Nice work.  There are some real oddities on this piece.  What can you tell us about Adam Specht?  Is Adam Specht the same invidual who was listed as a potter in New Berlin?  I tend to think it is.  The one early biographical sketch book from the region has a very nice write-up on Mose Specht, which talks about the family and his trade, inluding an engraved picture of Mose.  Technically, I believe the copyright has vanished and we can probably share it, here.  Have you seen the sketch?  If not, maybe you should book a trip to see it.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 05:30:37 AM »
Jeff.....I was always under the impression that all three of the Specht brothers lived in Beavertown, altough I have no
proof of this.   I will quiz some local descendents who are pretty knowledgeable on the family.   I do know that Mose was
also a building contractor, and built several houses in Beavertown, including the Reformed Church which is still be used.
What is this document you are talking about, and where is it?     Don

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 02:41:01 AM »
Don--

Mose Specht's biography is located in "The History of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys: With Illustrations," which is an interesting two volume sketch book, including biographies of prominent citizens.  I believe it is Volume II that contains a detailed sketch on Mose Specht, and includes details about his family.  It is a good piece.  It should be in local historical societies, and, if not, I have the set after  I got a great price on them from a local antique shop (as these are relatively rare).

Jeff