General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Chunk shooting question

(1/1)

J.D.:
Ok, did some shooting for practice for the chunk shoot and had a real problem with elevation. POI was within about 1 1/2 inch from the top of the page on the 10141 target, shot prone from a rest. The forearm of the rifle, at the entry, was resting on the bags.

Moving out to rest the forearm, at the middle thimble caused the POI to raise sufficiently to overshoot the target, all together.  I didn't have time to play with positioning the rifle in various locations, up and down the forestock, so I ask, where do y'all position the rifle on the bags to bring the POI to the alignment of the sights?

Or, is that the idea of the bud target? The center of a practice group, on the bud target is placed over the scoring target, so's the shooter can aim at the center of the bud and the rounds impact on center of the scoring target.

Thanks,
J.D.

Candle Snuffer:
JD, check out this site;

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1.shtml

Your spotter is everything.

Daryl:
That's an excellent article, Marty - think I'll put it in the first post as directions on how to shoot chunk - but then, everyone will be cutting the spider. May have to go to ten-thousanths to find the winner - HA!  I'll need a set of digital calipers. got some somewhere - think it needs batteries.

J.D.:
Thanks Marty, that is a good article. I shot a group with the Ped .32 that impacted about 3 1/2 inches high, and 1 1/2 inches right of the X. The over all group was pretty good, considering the bore diameter, range, and changing wind and light conditions.

Wind was gusting and switching directions, and the sun varied from high right to low right, as the day became evening.

The shine from the brass front sight didn't help either. Don't know why I didn't remove the shine?

Gotta spend more time in the back yard....on the range.  ;D

Might try the .54 and see how it does.

Thanks, and God bless,
J.D.

Candle Snuffer:
You are quite welcome J.D., glad to be of help. :)

Daryl, I think it would be a good article for explaining the chunk match.  I had
forgotten all about this being somewhere on the web until I read J.D.'s post.
I was happy I was able to find it again. :) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version