Author Topic: My engraving is atrocious!  (Read 8908 times)

Offline draken

My engraving is atrocious!
« on: May 07, 2016, 08:48:01 AM »
Am building a rifle for a relative and looking ahead I would really like to give it a little "bling" in the way of some patchbox engraving.   Try as I may, however. I simply cannot engrave.     :-[

Is there anywhere that does custom engraving on something like a patchbox?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 08:56:17 AM by draken »
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline P.Bigham

Re: My engraving is atrocious!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
Contact Chuck Edwards 573-568-2075  wipingstick@msn.com
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
Tim Adlam of Oshkosh, WI is a gifted artist and has done all my engraving, Shown below is his engraving on one of my Pboxes...Tel...920.235.4589...Fred

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:22:23 PM by flehto »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 08:55:29 PM »
If it's not already too late, it's advisable to develop the patchbox and the engraving design simultaneously,
for best result.
Just sayin.
Jeff
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:45:30 PM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 02:43:53 PM »
You're correct....otherwise the Pbox outline and engraving don't meld. Although I don't do the engraving, I do draw the engraving on the layout before cutting so there is continuity......Fred

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 06:20:57 PM »
Am building a rifle for a relative and looking ahead I would really like to give it a little "bling" in the way of some patchbox engraving.   Try as I may, however. I simply cannot engrave.     :-[

I used Smitty's Engraving the last two times and the engraving was what I wanted also it was under $130 for patchbox. sideplate, & toe plate. Nothing special & not overly done - I was satisfied with the work & price.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »
I would suggest taking classes. Engraving is really not one of those teach yourself things. So many things to get right.

Angle of the faces of the graver need to be just right, graver too long=bounce, hammer technique, hammer to heavy it digs in, angle of the tool to surface... etc

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 03:59:22 AM »
Looking at both patch boxes. Both very well done. How is the shading done as on the first one. If I may ask?

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 05:40:03 AM »
shading on that one is probably from very small light lines.

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
The "shading" color is a rubbed out 44/40 cold blue application. #0000 steel wool is used. Tim also "shaded" some areas w/  very fine engraving. The 2 different "shadings" do produce a  nice effect....Fred
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:40:37 AM by flehto »

Offline draken

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  It's good to have several different recommendations.

I would suggest taking classes. Engraving is really not one of those teach yourself things. So many things to get right.

Angle of the faces of the graver need to be just right, graver too long=bounce, hammer technique, hammer to heavy it digs in, angle of the tool to surface... etc

I agree, Chris.  Should engraving classes ever become available in my bailiwick
I will definitely sign up!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:41:22 AM by draken »
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »

In the meantime get John Schipper's book.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 04:46:16 PM »
This is a rifle that I built last year. The box is hand made and engraved by me. I started trying to learn engraving on my own but after 2 years and a lot of ruined brass I decided to take some classes. I took classes from Wallace Gusler and Mark Silver at the NMLRA WKU classes and they were great but the best classes I took were from GRS in Emproium Kansas. I have been engraving since 2007 and I enjoy it almost as much as rifle building. I hope that if you want to engrave that you will invest in some classes, it will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »
Nice work Bama. I was scheduled to go to a engraving school here in Stockton, CA a while back but they closed the school - never did get to sign up for another school.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 03:14:19 AM »
Also thank you for the info on shading. I admire all those who can engrave so well.

1836 Blacksmith

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
You might check out John Schipper's engraving class at Conner Prairie

Here is a link:

http://www.connerprairie.org/Things-To-Do/Events/Arts-and-Arms-Making-Workshops

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:07 PM »
  Chuck Edwards or Jerry Rice are both 2 that I have dealt with and they are execellent.Curt

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 10:36:22 PM »
 I bought Shipper's book just to see if it was any good. It is very good. I recommend it for anybody doing antique guns. Much of the designs are English style but we were English colonies. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 11:12:16 PM »
Bama, that is a very nice job on the patchbox. It's genuine 'Kentucky engraving', which means it's spot on for the gun and the time period (in my opinion, ok?). Good job.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Boompa

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
   ::)My engraving is very amateurish looking as well.  Wish I knew someone close by that could show me the ropes.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
I'm going to be demonstrating simple engraving sharpening and hammer techniques at Dixon's Fair this year. I'll bring my engraving ropes and show them to you.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

RFindley

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »

I used Smitty's Engraving the last two times and the engraving was what I wanted also it was under $130 for patchbox. sideplate, & toe plate. Nothing special & not overly done - I was satisfied with the work & price.

P.W.Berkuta:   Do you have any contact information for Smitty's Engraving.  I have some simple designs for a trigger guard and butt plate but I know I don't have the skills necessary to do it myself.  Thanks

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 11:54:24 PM »
Smitty does machine or rotary engraving and does a very nice job.  I've had him do a lot of stuff for me over the years and the results and prices are good.

Smitty's Engraving
21320 Pioneer Circle
Harrah, OK 73045
Telephone: (405) 454-6968

Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.