Author Topic: another problem.....help  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Wyoduster

another problem.....help
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
Ok gun is complete and I'm putting it back together....
 Problem I pull the trigger(set trigger) and hammer only goes to half cock position(Siler Lock)..
I've looked over everything from rubbing wood to something not assembled right.. but all I see is that the trigger bar is brutally close, if not slightly touching the sear tail......  Is that the culprit?  What's my fix?
Can tail be bent.?  :o trigger striker filed down?  :o   :-\ :-\
 Not sure what to do.. help............. :-\  ???

Offline smylee grouch

Re: another problem.....help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:25:02 PM »
Make sure the fly is in the lock.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:31:45 PM »
this can happen if you have zero trigger wiggle at full cock.  Sometimes the sear bar is at very slightly different positions at rest, half cock, and full cock.  Of course the trigger bar can be filed or ground down a tiny bit if that is the case.

However, wood rubbing (especially in the hole), or having the sear bolt too tight are the most common culprits for this sort of problem.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »
 I can pull the trigger assembly and tap the sear tail/bar and she fires....
 I pull the lock and touch the trigger and she snaps.
but put them both in and only half fire.

54ball

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
 Have the sets been tuned? By tuning I mean taken apart, cleaned, lightly polished on the friction surfaces. This is not a have to, but at least oil it and exercise it.  Do the same for the lock. Also the bridle, sear and and cock screws may be too tight. These need to be snug...not "hillbilly tight".

The main spring that works the set may not be under enough tension. Try tightening the mainspring on the triggers. It may not be "tripping" with enough force.

Try adjusting the screws (on the lock) and spring (on the triggers). Tighten this loosen that. Fool with this some before you go further.

The trigger bar bearing on the sear can create an unsafe situation. Here is a simple check.. with the triggers installed and "unset" you should be able to wiggle the rear trigger forward some as there should be (needs to be) some slack when the trigger is unset.

Lastly... Check and make sure that enough wood has been relieved above the lock panel to make sure the cock is not catching on this little bit of wood.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:22:32 PM by 54ball »

Offline sz

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:13:37 PM »
It's probably that the front trigger is in contact with the sear of the lock.  If you remove the set triggers and grind off a small amount of steel from the front trigger so it wiggles at 1/2 cock and full cock the problem will vanish.  "Small amount" means about the clearance that you can slip a match book cover through.  It need not be a lot, but it must be there. 

54ball

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »
 Get some "liquid paper"...correction fluid, paint the searbar of the lock. Cock it remove it  ....check to see if you have contact.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »
Get some "liquid paper"...correction fluid, paint the searbar of the lock. Cock it remove it  ....check to see if you have contact.

Good tip!

Black magic marker rubs off contact surfaces. Not as sensitive as the 'liquid paper', though.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
Check the depth of the sear hole in the stock. The sear MIGHT be rubbing on the bottom of the hole. I just had this happen to me and it was only when the lock bolts were tightened up. ???
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 07:49:10 PM »
Take heart! You are this >< close to finishing the gun, a few more adjustments and its all done.  :D

Lots of good options have been suggested, sort through them and begin with the least invasive of them and proceed down the list to the most drastic (removing metal or wood). Somewhere in there you'll solve the problem, which in the scheme of things, is a small one (plus you'll learn something).

dave
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:50:09 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
The only way for the lock to catch in the half cock notch is for the fly to be missing or it not being engaged.   Assuming the fly is present, you are not rotating the tumbler far enough back to allow the fly to slide forward.   A little wood in the way of the lock mainspring or the cock could cause this.   You could have this condition and everything else you have said be true.   A trigger that bears too much on the sear could exacerbate this problem.   

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »
 :D ;D GOOD NEWS/bad news..... Believe I found the problem...  Mark the very first thing you said was "The Fly is missing"...... sure enough, there is no fly to be found... so I'll be ordering one as soon as I'm off this site.
 Thanks I'll keep you posted .. pictures to follow.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 12:49:24 AM »
:D ;D GOOD NEWS/bad news..... Believe I found the problem...  Mark the very first thing you said was "The Fly is missing"...... sure enough, there is no fly to be found... so I'll be ordering one as soon as I'm off this site.

If you're going to be building more guns and are as good at losing those things as I am while the lock is disassembled for tuning or inletting, order more than one.  You'll be glad you did.  ;)

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 05:20:04 PM »
Been there; done that.  I now keep the fly in one of those tiny plastic bag small parts come in from TOW and others.  Of course, I can still drop one on my shop floor.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »

Get you some of those magnetic parts trays. I've lost more little iron nuts, bolt, screws, pins and gadgets than I can count until I got me some of those trays. Throw them in there and they stay until you want them back......I don't know why it took me so long to think of this. Handy as a pocket on a shirt!

Offline Wyoduster

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
Got it together last night.. works like a champ ;D ;D ;D.  Amazing what a little piece will do.
   THANKS!!