Author Topic: Ashmore lock  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Ashmore lock
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
 I'm looking for a frizzen for a left hand Ashmore lock. Lock is marked Ashmore waranteed, and part of a pair of left and right shotgun locks....Thanks....Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Ashmore lock
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »
You'll need to be a lot more specific or post images of the lock. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:28:38 PM »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
Dan,
I've got a pair of L&R back action shotgun locks listed here a bit further down the For Sale forum.
I also have a pair of matched Cochran locks.  Both sets are percussion.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:44:01 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
I am not computer literate at all and can not get the photos from photo bucket to this site...Need some help
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:44:01 AM »
I am not computer literate at all and can not get the photos from photo bucket to this site...Need some help

Dan,
  Send them to me and I will get them posted.

Tim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
Below are photos of the lock Dan needs a frizzen for.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
 Those look like the Ashmore locks sold by Dixie Gun Works years ago. I'm sure others sold them as well, but I haven't seen them offered for a while. I think they were made in Italy.

Hungry Horse

bkb

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
If you have not found one let me know. I bought one of those locks from Dixie years ago and then purchased a second frizzen just in case.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 12:12:48 AM »
Thanks all for helping...The Rifle shop lock is close, but not sure if the frizzen will be the same....I need a replacement for the left hand lock...

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 01:33:48 AM »
Dixie's web site doesn't list a frizzen available for that lock, but it wouldn't hurt to call them to make sure.  You might be able to modify a Rifle Shoppe frizzen to work.   The only other option,  a new custom made frizzen,  will be very pricey.  It would be better to modify a casting, or two, if necessary.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 02:26:32 AM »
Get a piece of a broken off file welded to it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 02:35:07 AM »
Get a piece of a broken off file welded to it.

I am not sure how the welded piece would take heat treatment and respond to the stress of operation.   It is certainly worth a try, but I wouldn't be surprised if it broke again.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 03:21:17 AM »
A Rifle Shop frizzen is only $20 + shipping, and I think I'll go that route. I called Dixy and they don't have anything to offer. I know my customer isn't willing for me to make him a new frizzen. I hadn't thought about welding a piece of 1095 to the broken stub....Micro weld might work, as a last resort.....Thanks for all your help....Dan....http://dfruthflintlocker.blogspot.com/

Swab

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 07:25:35 AM »
Let us know time frame from when you contact them to when you get it

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
Might be faster and less trouble to just repair the old one. I would try fitting a blank of 1075/80 to the existing base using a dovetail joint for some additional strength (easier with a mill) followed by welding. Once it was shaped up the repair should be pretty much invisible.