Author Topic: Barrel underlugs and sights  (Read 4730 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

Barrel underlugs and sights
« on: July 19, 2008, 05:41:25 AM »
  When you buy a barrel from a manufactorer do they come with the underlug,front and back sight mounting grooves already cut, or is that something you have to do?

Rich

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
Re: Barrel underlugs and sights
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:50:22 AM »
Depending on your supplier, they can come either way. Also you may request them done for you, again depending on your supplier.

I like to do my own.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 06:19:22 AM »
rich, if your using barrel for kit gun, example, chambers/ toftw, the manufacture has the spacing pre set. if your building from a blank it's better to do it your self. too hard to build  a gun around the loop locations .
a lot of builders pin barrel right away when gun stock is still rough, i do it last to give me more flexability
with forstock moldings/inlays etc. mike
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

TENdriver

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
Rich,
Depending on your vision, you'll want to place the rear sight where it suits you.  Also, I'd err towards older eyes.  If you don't have them now, you'll get them soon enough.

I used to have 20/06 vision and sight placement really didn't matter.  In the last few years it's changed to less than 20/20 and I really notice.

chuck c.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
Rice will do all of them except the one for the rear sight for a very reasonable price. I figured if I had to do that one I might as well do them all! I started with the four on the bottom because they wouldn't show. Do some research on the old site for some confidence building, go slow, and keep them shallow and you shouldn't have any problems. A dovetail file purchased from Brownell's was also a big help. I really worried about the one located near the narrow waist but it all worked out well. It's really kind of fun and went much better than my first attempt at installing a white lightning liner!

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 03:59:30 AM »
I consider the barrel loop dovetails as "pratice" for the sight dovetails. When I first got started some of my loop dovetails were pretty ragged, but by the time I got to the ones that show, the sight dovetails, they were a lot better.

Hope this helps,
Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com