Author Topic: Fly question  (Read 2117 times)

Bob Rearley

Fly question
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:25:47 PM »
I am installing a lock on a completed gun.  There isn't any play in the trigger in any cock position and the lock fires fine except if I were to pull the cock back to full cock as if to fire, but instead pulled the trigger and manually let the cock down, the fly hangs up on the sear because the trigger bar cannot move the sear any further from the fly  It looks like I can take some off the fly.  I found quite a bit of discussion on this topic in the archives but nothing directed at this specific question.  I am curious if many of you find a need to alter Fly geometry on preassembled locks?  This is the Chamber's Christian Spring Lock.
Bob

Offline Long Ears

Re: Fly question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 04:10:03 AM »
Bob, without a picture, I certainly wouldn't want to guess. Call Jim or Barbie and they can and will help you out. Bob

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:43:39 AM »
Without seeing your lock and installation, it is hard to say for sure the source of your problem.   I can tell you that I normally have to stone a little bit off the fly for the reason you stated.    You have to be vary careful that you don't take off so much that the fly can't perform its function of pushing the sear up and over the half cock notch.  

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:44:11 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:33:13 AM »
The fly cannot be altered beyond lightly polishing.  If the lock functions properly out of the gun the problem is with either the trigger or the wood in the lock inlet.

Bob Rearley

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 07:10:06 AM »
Thanks gentlemen.  I had gone ahead and polished the fly and the problem is resolved.  The fly still seems to be doing its job.