Author Topic: Octagon to round smoothbore pistol barrel?  (Read 4253 times)

Hemo

Octagon to round smoothbore pistol barrel?
« on: May 24, 2016, 02:10:00 AM »
A fellow just enlisted me to build him a flintlock pistol similar to one I have made. The pistol he likes has an octagon to round 12" .62 caliber smooth barrel. I got this particular barrel about two years ago through Muzzleloader Builder's Supply, made by Oregon barrels. Returning to their website, I no longer see any octagon to round barrels made by Oregon, nor any other maker. Ditto other suppliers such as TOW, Rice, Colerain, and others. Does anyone know of suppliers of smoothbore octagon to round pistol barrels?

Gregg
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:00:15 AM by Hemo »

Offline RichG

Re: Octagon to round smoothbore pistol barrel?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:28:37 AM »
contact joe Williams at the gun works(Oregon barrels) and he'll make you whatever you want.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:57:27 AM »
Call Ryan at MS
they still have them I believe
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline crankshaft

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:31:20 PM »
Greg

Check on whether the octagon on MBS/Oregon barrels taper on the octagon section.A lot from MBS are straight octagon and then round.This makes it difficult to get the architecture correct and look a little funky in my opinion.I have'nt seen all their offerings so just commenting on those I've seen.You build a fine gun so a tapered section will only enhance that.FYI Charlire Burton properly tapers his octagon section as do many others including Getz and Rice.

Mitch Yates

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:07:25 PM »
Stay away from the one sold by Dixie Gun Works, unless they have changed their source.  I bought one years ago and it was made from DOM tubing, but worse than that, the breechplug installation was a disaster and had to be completely reworked.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
Speaking of tubing,a relpica Civil War rifle blew up at a recent reenactment in Barboursville WV recently
and the police chief told me the barrel split length ways,blew the lock which was never found and the
shooter was injured. The rifle was a Cook Brothers replica and was being fired with blanks. Has anyone else
heard of anything like this happening??

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
I made my own, by turning down an octagonal barrel and adding wedding rings.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Hemo

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions, all. I just talked to Ryan at MLBS and he does have these in stock. Apparently they are changing their stock numbers which is why these don't show up on their online catalogue.
Mitch, I did confirm that the octagon segment tapers slightly to the wedding band, and the round muzzle flares slightly. I think it'll look very graceful.
Daryl, nice job-- if I had a metal lathe, I'm sure I would be "rolling my own", but in lieu of that, I don't want to work an octagon barrel down to round by drawfiling.  (I'm just a mortal who's not afraid of kryptonite.)

Gregg

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »
I do not know if this is the case or not, but back when I was reenacting there were a lot of occasions when I was scared of the person next to me's weapon because it was so fouled up a ramrod would not go down it. 

Speaking of tubing,a relpica Civil War rifle blew up at a recent reenactment in Barboursville WV recently
and the police chief told me the barrel split length ways,blew the lock which was never found and the
shooter was injured. The rifle was a Cook Brothers replica and was being fired with blanks. Has anyone else
heard of anything like this happening??

Bob Roller