Author Topic: Rifle for my daughter  (Read 11688 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Rifle for my daughter
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »
I've been working on this rifle for my daughter for a while and finally finished. I previously posted for help on the butt carving and got some great help. I still messed it up a bit but that just the way it is sometimes. The next one will be better. I still need to learn how to sharpen my chisels.

This is gun number 3 and my first in maple. I found it more difficult to carve that my previous two in walnut and cherry. It just wanted to tear and the grain kept changing directions. It is from a precarved stock I got from Curt Lyles - he could not remember where he got it. It has a 31 inch 45 cal Rice barrel, small Siler, a Reeves Goering trigger guard. The trigger pull is just over 12 inches.

Well, here it is. Constructive criticism is welcome.

I screwed up the incised carving above the left hand C scroll by making it too wide. It seems to separate the C scroll from the rest of the carving.

The picture makes it look like there is a bad gap on the left side of the tang - its really a photo thing.

I made the sight out of a silver quarter - it may be too thin. We'll see.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:31:01 AM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Leatherbelly

Re: Rifle for my daughter
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »
  Lucky young lassy! Nice work...very nice!

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »
Minor details! Looks like a great job, especially for number three?!! You and your daughter should be proud.

Lon Baugh

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:26:47 AM »
I like the looks of it. It's a rifle that she can pass on to her offspring too.   Lon

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:30:48 AM »
Fine looking rifle and the young lady has a smile  ;D on her face which tells it all -- be proud - you did good ;) ;)!!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:56:19 AM »
Man, if my #3 looks that good I'll be happy.  And congratulations on raising a daughter who is as happy to be involved with her Dad and his sport as she obviously is!  Well done indeed on both counts!  :)

I'd be interested in finding a "kit" for something like that myself.  I have a grand daugther just about exactly that age, and a grand son 1 year younger - both of whom have been hinting that they would like something just about like that!   ???
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:48:01 AM »
Thanks all.

Brian, one of the vendors, can't remember who, sells a boys Beck kit. Somone probably knows who....
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
Robert,
You have done yourself proud.  Your daughter is a lucky young lady and all of us are better off because of your gift to her.
Larry Luck

Ephraim

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:08:37 AM »
nothing wrong with that little rifle. You made a little girl proud for many years to come. GOOD JOB.
Ephraim

C. Cash

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 04:10:07 AM »
All the money and talent in the world could not have created the treasure that you did.  When a Dad makes something it takes on a whole new life.  The time spent shooting with her will be worth even morel.  Great looking rifle!

Berks Liberty

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:17:47 AM »
That is a really nice rifle.  That is something she will cherish for a long time.  You've also given me some ideas for my two sons. 

projeeper

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 04:29:18 AM »
BEAUTIFUL!!!! both of em,the smile and hug you got when you gave her,her rifle is worth more than than anything money could buy.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 04:49:18 AM »
That is a beautiful pair, your dauhter and her rifle.  It took me three tries before I completed a gun for my oldest daughter.  I was so slow that she out grew the first two before I finished them. 
DMR

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 04:59:36 AM »
Good on you!  Be proud of that one (the rifle and the daughter).

I had the same thought.  I have one under my belt just to see if I could.  Now I'm working on a lefty for my oldest son.  Something to remember Dad by.
Kunk

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 06:36:20 AM »
Great looking rifle. Looks like George Shroyer's work. One lucky puppy to get that treasure from her dad.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 07:48:15 AM »
Very pretty girl. I mean your daughter. Like the rifle too. The carving is really good and convincing. The only thing I can see to criticize is the rifle looks a little stubby at the muzzle. Bring the wood back from the nose cap a little farther back before dropping down to the level of the pipes.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
Excellent.
I hate seeing kids shooting some junky ML.
But then many of their parents shoot junk too...

I found cutting maple got a lot easier when I learned that what I had thought was sharp was just getting started on a good edge. Once I figured that out things got easier.
Eastern hard maple helps too. A lot of the western stuff I have had contact with is like pine with curl impossible to cut clean.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

David G

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »
I think you just created a family heirloom. That's a dandy little rifle and a fine looking daughter there! I think those first guns that we receive are the special ones. Thanks for sharing.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
The carving is really good and convincing.

I agree and was looking for the right words about the carving.  Bill nailed it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »
Bill, thanks for the comment on the stubby muzzle. I guess I was too worried about bunching up the ramrod pipes on that short barrel and didn't leave enough room at the muzzle. So many things to think about.

And thanks to all for encouragemnt on my carving. I look at some posted here that is clean, crisp, and sculpted and I think mine looks pretty poor. Sharp tools has to be a part of it. I have to make it look old and worn to help cover the faults!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 06:15:35 PM »
Hi Robert,  You are one lucky father and you have a very lucky daughter!! I am sure she is proud of her dad! What a beautiful piece of work to give to give to a beautiful offspring! Thanks for sharing the excitement with us.  It brings back memories of my kids and what I made for them and the times we enjoyed while they were at home.  I wish you and your daughter  happy times ahead. :)    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 06:34:45 PM »
Nice little rifle Robert.  Both of you should be proud.
Dan
Dan Akers

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »
A delightful little rifle for a delightful little girl.  I agree with David G.; you've created a family heirloom.  I think it's a very good looking rifle (man law doesn't allow me to say "cute").  I think you have to get "picky" to find any real faults.  Looks pretty masterful to me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »
I gotta say, this picture touches me. This is a great photo of the happiest girl in the world.

and a real neat gun as well.

Great going on both accounts!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
I've got a couple of those photos with my sons (pre-digital).  I still cherish them.
Nice gun!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell