Author Topic: Christian's Spring rifle inspired by RCA #43- Photos Fixed  (Read 83013 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Current project by Curtis - Christian's Spring rifle inspired by RCA #43
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2016, 08:23:07 AM »
Norm,

I tried a flat graver to help clean up and form the bevel a couple different times, however always went back to using the square graver as it gave the best results for me. (your mileage may vary)  For the initial cuts I would definitely recommend the square, it does the job well and you can control whether you cut with one face or two, depending on your needs.

The diamond file came from Bass Pro of all places, at the knife counter.  I think the intent is for sharpening blades, but when I saw it I immediately thought of gun building.  It has a magnetic base with three interchangeable file faces, coarse, medium and fine.  you can use the file face without the magnetic base for delicate operations. I think it was about thirty bucks when I purchased it a few years back.

Curtis

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 07:43:27 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »
Curtis,
Thank you. I will have to get some of those files.
You did a nice clean job on that lock plate.
Thanks again for taking the time to post pictures.
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »
I agree, a nice job on the lock.  Polishing a lock is tedious!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:01:49 PM by SingleMalt »
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2016, 10:12:55 PM »
   Curtis you have done an outstanding job on this. The step by step for us that have only built a couple of guns has been extremely helpful. Sure hope this can be put in the tutorial section. Thank you very much.  Mikke

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »
Looking really nice, Curtis.  I like how faithful your being towards the original work this is based on.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2016, 09:50:30 AM »
Thanks Traveler and Jim!  I have been cutting some wood on the back forty, but have had some shop time in between.  In reference to your comment in particular Jim, I have made a larger cock screw for the lock to compare more favorably to the original.  I will try to post some pics in a few days, along with any other progress I may make.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline hudson

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
Curtis,
Thank you great post! We can never stop learning. You make me cry when I think of my first stock from curly maple many years ago. Spoke shaves, planes and such just skidded and hopped. I know operator error and just not sharp, maybe, that wood was hard! I haven’t gotten away from walnut since. Love your file work, you are a real master. Enjoy your retirement I am into about ten years now and still not caught up. Thanks again.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:34 AM »
Looks crisp and beautiful from here.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2016, 05:45:56 AM »
Thanks for your very kind  comments Hudson and Marcruger.  Hudson, hard wood can be a real booger, as you already suspected the key to cutting it with bladed tools is to get them SHARP SHARP SHARP!  I thought I knew how to sharpen blades - then I tried using them on maple.  Had to go to sharpening school all over again!

Curtis
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 05:47:04 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »
Just a short update for now.  As mentioned previously I made a new, larger cock screw to resemble the original a bit more, and while I was at it I worked over the cock a bit more. 

After some offsite conversation with a friend who offered some excellent critique, I gave the cock a bit more angle on the bevel around the cock screw, and modified the area above the breast of the cock by accentuating the "scooped out" area, a feature of the cock on #43 and some other rifles from the same era.  More filing and another polish job!

Since my shop and I are both deprived of a lathe, I had to get a little creative with making a larger cock screw.  I had kicked around a couple different ideas and the following is what I ended up going with.  I started with a bumper bolt and a 6-40 socket head cap screw.  I soaked the cap screw in some muriatic acid to remove the black oxide coating.  The screw could be made from scratch if you have a 6-40 die.

I chucked the bolt in my drill press and used a file to mill the diameter down a bit, and reshape the head.

Then I found the center and cut a slot with a hacksaw. (forgot to snap a pic of that)  The slot left by the saw was a bit narrower than my thinnest file, so I used some emery backed by a razor blade to widen the slot enough to get the file started.  I really need to order some screw slot files one of these days!

Once the file would fit I prettied up the slot a bit.

When I was happy with the slot, I the cut the head off with a hacksaw.  Sounds gruesome, eh?   :-[

The back of the head was cleaned up with a file, then floated on a mill file to smooth it up.

Center was located and marked with a center punch.

I drilled a short hole in the bottom of the head and tapped it with a 6-40 plug tap.  All oil and residue was cleaned out and brazing flux applied.  I sprinkled some fine brass filings in the hole, dipped the wet screw in some more filings, and screwed it tightly into the head.  Just for good measure I piled a small amount of filings around the screw and added some borax for flux.

The whole mess was then torched until the brass melted, thus brazing the screw in place.

Of course more cleanup and polishing were now in order.  I removed the leftover slag with diamond files, then put the screw back in the drill press to polish the face.  The socket cap was removed with a hacksaw and the end cleaned up with a file.

The new screw was the given a new home.  I like it much better than the original!  The mods to the cock are subtle but an improvement, IMHO.

I then began scraping the stock to it's final shape, did some refining of the lock panels, and started filing and draw filing the barrel to clean it up. 

I don't know the proper name for this style if file (perhaps some of you machinists can help out here) but it works great for knocking off the rough finish of a barrel.  It works more like planing the barrel than filing.  It can leave a decent finish by itself, however when done with this stage I will hit the barrel with a fine mill file and some emery cloth for the final finish.  I plan on charcoal bluing this barrel so I will want a pretty nice polish on it. Here is a pic of the mystery file I picked up at a swap meet, and the finish it leaves after several passes.  I used it at a small angle so it will follow the swamp.

Hopefully I will have the stock ready to start drawing my carving designs soon.  I have the next week pretty well planned out for me with graduations, birthdays and holiday fun so it may be a couple weeks before I have much to show.  In the meantime, any comments or critiques are always appreciated

Until then, Merry Christmas everyone!
Curtis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:14:35 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline SingleMalt

« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »
Heck of a good idea on replacing the screw. 

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Smoketown

« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »

I don't know the proper name for this style if file (perhaps some of you machinists can help out here) but it works great for knocking off the rough finish of a barrel.  It works more like planing the barrel than filing.  It can leave a decent finish by itself, however when done with this stage I will hit the barrel with a fine mill file and some emery cloth for the final finish.  I plan on charcoal bluing this barrel so I will want a pretty nice polish on it. Here is a pic of the mystery file I picked up at a swap meet, and the finish it leaves after several passes.  I used it at a small angle so it will follow the swamp.

Until then, Merry Christmas everyone!
Curtis

It's probably a Nicholson "magicut file" 07917.   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »
Thanks for the info, Smoketown.

I finished up the draw filing by going over the barrel with a large mill file then a finer mill file.  After the filing was complete I sanded the barrel with some 240 grit emery backed with a file.  I will probably polish it with at least 400 grit before bluing, but that task will wait until I am ready to blue.  If I were browning, I would likely stop after the finer mill file.

I my opinion the secret to any repetitive filing task is some music with a good driving rhythm.  Just what is the ultimate filing music? Alas, that is a trade secret and cannot be discussed here, but only over a cold beer.   :P

Curtis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 10:17:02 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »
I decided to take Singlemalt's suggestion and attach the nosecap with a #8 screw and a flat nut, to make it look like the original but without the issues that come with screwing the nosecap and stock to the barrel.  I couldn't find any #8 tapered head slotted head steel screws locally.  Lots of them in brass and stainless, but not in steel.  I didn't want to order a box of 100 so I decided to make my own.  I started with a nail with an approximately 100 degree tapered head.  A shallow taper will fit the purpose much better anyways.

I cut the nail about 1-1/4" long and threaded it full length with an 8-32 die.  I started with longer stock to help with starting the die straight, and to give me more to hang onto while working with it.  The head was quite lopsided so I filed it to a much rounder state, then filed the top of the head smooth.

Next a slot was cut with a hacksaw and cleaned up with a file.

The screw was then case hardened, as the nail material is quite soft left alone.

Next I took a flat nut for a #5 screw, drilled the hole larger and tapped it to 8-32.

Then filed off about 2/3 of the original thickness.

...and then case hardened it, since there were only a few threads left at this thickness and I wanted it to hold tightly.

They fit each other!

A clearance hole was drilled in the muzzlecap and stock, then a 100o countersink applied to the hole.

The nut was screwed in place and scribed around, then inlet with a small chisel made from a screwdriver.  Note the barrel scrap in the barrel channel used as support for clamping in the vice:

Next the screw was cut to size, screwed in tight, then filed flush to the nut.

And now the cap won't go flying off when the rifle is fired!

Thanks for looking,
Curtis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:07:27 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2016, 07:52:42 AM »
I am making the sights for this rifle, and I want the rear sight  to be similar to the original on #43.  It will be manufactured from a railroad spike.  I posted about making another rear sight in a similar manner here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=28998.msg276869#msg276869  So I won't go into a lot of detail here.

This sight is a little different but the process is similar.  Start with a spike, and measure the section to be cut, then hacksaw to length.  A 14tpi blade works well here:

Then layout the details on the sight blank:

For some cuts, such as the sight blade and certain decorative accents, I used the edge of the vice as a fence to help guide the blade.

Filing here, filing there, filing filing everywhere:

The slot was started with a jeweler's saw. then finished with a file.

Now it's done until I cut the dovetails in the barrel and fit it.

Curtis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:13:16 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2016, 08:01:17 AM »
For the front "barleycorn" sight I will use a method documented by Jack Brooks on his "Classroom" page, near the bottom.  Here is a link to the page: http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/theclassroom.htm  Lots of good stuff to be found on that website!

Start with a piece of brass and follow Jack's instructions.  Here are a few photos of mine:

Folded:

Cut:

Ready to file up:

And this is as far as I got before I ran out of time for the day.

Hopefully I will have more to share later this week.  Thanks for looking!

Curtis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:16:41 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2016, 09:35:38 AM »
Nice work Curtis, and thanks for posting! 
keep plugging along so I can copy you, I mean....  continue to copy the original....

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Keithbatt

« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
These posts are very helpful for less experience builders.  Thank you very much for sharing. 

Keith

Offline SingleMalt

« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
I really enjoyed your post about making the rear sight.

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2016, 06:27:21 PM »
Great job on everything Curtis!  Question on the front sight. Did you solder it when you folded?
Mike Westcott

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »
Curtis,
This is going to make a great tutorial when your thru.

Great work!

And I love your innovative methods of making do with what you have.

Thanks for taking the time to document all your hard work.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2016, 05:51:34 AM »
Great work Curtis, thanks for sharing.It has been a pleasure to watch your progress with this build.....Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2016, 06:40:35 AM »
Thanks for all your comments guys, it means a lot to hear someone may get something useful from all these ramblings.

Mike, yep I soldered it.  Even though my head knew it is not necessary, my hands couldn't stop themselves from doing it.  I have been known to trend towards "overkill" from time to time.   Okay, most of the time! ;)

Curtis
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:17:11 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »
When I got back to the shop after a little deer hunting this morning I decided I wasn't happy with the way things were going on the front sight, so I folded up another one using some .040 stock and started over.  It only took about ten minutes and I was filing away on the new sight.  Yes Mike, I soldered this one too!  Just a dab of paste solder.  Silver solder would be way overkill, unless of course you are soldering up a two piece sight in which case it would be recommended. 

Here it is ready to install when the dovetail is cut in the barrel.  Unless I change my mind again, of course.   :D

I started cutting the dovetail for the rear sight, didn't get it finished today 'cause I changed the oil in my tractor and pickup this afternoon.  I sure have a lot of excuses for not doing the fun stuff for a retired guy, don't I?

Taylor's underlug tutorial, in the tutorial section, explains the process quite well,  I do it pretty much the same way, starting with a hacksaw.  If you haven't done one before, you may want to cut your sight dovetails before you draw file the barrel, in case of a slip.  Just be careful and good things will happen!  A skitter across your barrel with the saw blade could make even a good preacher cuss.  This is a loooong dovetail so lots of cuts with the saw.

Then I take a cold chisel to the raised metal, first a large one to remove the bulk of it, then as I get close I use a small one. A sharp chisel works best.

When it is close to smooth I start with a file.  I recommend the widest one that will fit the slot without bunging the edges.  A pillar file works well, or you can modify a mill file with  one or two safe edges.

More to come later.

Curtis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:19:37 PM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:41 AM »
Mas excelente mi amigo!
Hold to the Wind