Author Topic: Chamber's Isaac Haines -Mostly done, shot it today  (Read 18660 times)

Offline Chowmi

Re: Chamber's Isaac Haines -Mostly done, shot it today
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 08:30:13 AM »
Taco,
You are right about function over form being important, and that is a good lesson.  As a new builder, I have been obsessed with form and improving my skills. 

I am of two minds about the finish on the barrel and lock.  I try to stay accurate to what may have been done at the time. 
I will likely leave the lock in the white.
For the barrel, I may fire blue it or charcoal blue it.  I think fire blueing is probably more correct historically.  I do not intend to brown it. 

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2017, 04:13:20 AM »
Nicely done, Norm!  Great job on the architecture.  That's the important part, everything else will follow.  If you decide to fire blue the barrel, I'd be very interested in seeing the results.  Thanks for posting, and again, nice!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2017, 07:17:28 AM »
Nicely done, Norm!  Great job on the architecture.  That's the important part, everything else will follow.  If you decide to fire blue the barrel, I'd be very interested in seeing the results.  Thanks for posting, and again, nice!

Ed

Thank you, Ed! 
I still have not decided on whether to fire blue the barrel, but I'm pretty much set on trying it on a scrap pistol barrel I have.  Success with the pistol barrel may prompt me to do it on this gun. 
I just went back over Jack Brooks' tutorial on it from his website, and my notes from class. 
I will post results of whatever I do. 

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

sosoeddie

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2020, 03:24:43 AM »
Hi Norm, just read every post in this thread. I'm building a Chamber's Early Lancaster and your posts and pics were a treasure. THANKS! I just lack deciding on a design, fabricating and installing the patchbox, doing wood carvings, final finish on wood and brass, and engraving. I'm a woodcarver so looking forward to carving.