Author Topic: Current project by Boompa  (Read 2622 times)

Boompa

Current project by Boompa
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:49:49 AM »
The post below was originally part of Davebozell's  "Show us your current project" thread.  The moderators have split the many projects in the original thread out into individual threads so the members can more easily ask questions and the builders can more easily answer.

This is a collection of spare parts.  I've had the stock for a long time and also wound up with a nickel butt plate from...don't recall.  I bought a L&R Classic lock, a nickel forend cap and thimbles.  The stock has a bit of spalting in it but this maple is very firm and there are no spongy areas.  I guess this is of the "generic" school but will make someone a good deer rifle.  Slow twist 50 cal GM barrel, 7/8" and 36" long so it will be a light carry gun. Working on it as time allows so I'll be at a couple more weeks I suppose.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:45:40 AM by Boompa »

thimble rig

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »
That looks pretty so far.Are you going to try and hide the spalting in the wood or just leave it like it is.I kinda like the looks of the that,Its different.

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
Boompa

Looking good so far. Stock profile kinda of looks pretty similar to a Schweitzer to me, so generic is good  ;)

Brokenflint

Boompa

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:57:26 AM »
That looks pretty so far.Are you going to try and hide the spalting in the wood or just leave it like it is.I kinda like the looks of the that,Its different.

I agree, the wood has a lot of curl and gray streaks through the butt section.  The mineral lines are so dark I doubt I could do anything to hide them so I'll show them off.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:20:01 PM by Boompa »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 06:07:35 PM »
I agree, the wood has a lot of curl an gray streaks through the butt section.  The mineral lines are so dark I doubt I could do anything to hide them
I think you'll be surprised to discover that most of it will disappear once you stain it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Boompa

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »
  Could be, I've never used spalted or worm affected maple. I took a gamble on this piece of wood 'cause it is pretty as well as inexpensive. I was warned that spalted lumber  can have weak, spongy areas but this blank is very sturdy.  I'll post a few pics when I get 'er done.