Author Topic: Lock lube ??  (Read 11565 times)

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Lock lube ??
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 11:56:21 PM »
I use Kubota oil in my tractor. Polaris oil in my Sportsman and Chambers oil in my locks.
I don't think you can go wrong with using the oil designed for your application. Face it your not saving any real money by using 10 W 30 in your lock just because you got some sitting on the shelf.
I clean my lock everytime I shoot. After washing and brushing and drying, I spray it good with WD-40 then wipe "All" that stuff off and out of the internals. Then I come back with Mr. Jim Chambers Accralube. Tried the other stuff but after using the Chambers product I'll never go back.
BTW, his thicker lube also gets the nod for my barrels and metal exteriors.

I work with a guy that paid somebody in another state to build him a rifle. After about 100 shots the hammer (cock) fell off and he brought it to me to fix. Turns out the screw was too short and it stripped the one thread holding it on. He also wanted me to tune his lock for him. Now this lock didn't look like it had ever seen a drop of oil inside or out. It wasn't rust brown, it was rust red. All over. The builder had made no attempt to remove any friction and I can't figure out how he built the rifle without noticing there were no threads to speak of on the hammer screw.
I was not able to cock the lock out of the rifle. By the way this was NOT a Chambers lock.
I gave him a price of $100. plus parts, to fix and tune the lock or he could send it back to his builder.
He thought about it and sent it back.
In this case a little 3 in 1 oil would have worked wonders.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Don Getz

Re: Lock lube ??
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 06:02:09 AM »
Being a trap shooter, I'll go along with Jerry's suggestion, Shooters Choice grease.   It comes in a plastic syringe and I
use it when I take a lock completely apart.  I will use it on the tumber hole, place some on the top of the sear where the
sear spring rides against it, and on the tumbler where the main spring hits it....seems to work great.  I also have some
fine oil that I use elsewhere on any moveable part to keep them lubed.   I too have seen locks that apparently never
received any oil....very disturbing.   That lock is just like a little machine in there, keep it oiled.........Don