Author Topic: Kibler .36 Walnut Kit  (Read 48472 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: Kibler .36 Walnut Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
I hope all you people that are putting together these kits together are putting your name on them. Can you imagine putting one of these in the gun rack at Friendship? You'd never find your gun.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:30:27 PM by Keb »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 07:35:22 PM »
That is some REALLY nice clean work.  Great work!  As far as design goes, everyone has different taste.  I often feel strongly about these things too.  Just one of those things...

We've worked really hard to make these kits as easy as possible.  As I mentioned, even though they are very good, there are a few things that I will be adjusting to make them even better.  The recent class at WKU was great in that it allowed me to see exactly how thirteen rifles went together. 

Thanks for those who have noted things and offered suggestions.  My goal is to keep improving things to make them as easy as humanly possible to put together.  As I mentioned a while back, there are some things in the works right now.

Keep up the great work, Kingsbury!

Jim

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 07:46:32 PM »
Thank you Jim - Means a lot coming from you - Should have it locked in today, then clean up all the metal parts, finish sand the wood and then apply the final wood and metal finish. This is a fun, relaxing and enjoyable kit.

Jon

Offline Kermit

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 12:07:50 AM »
So--tomorrow, photos of the finished rifle at the range for sighting in?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
That would be so nice....

Installed the trigger guard, the Thimbles and the entire lock. I will disassemble all the parts, finish them and Blue/Grey them (including the barrel) and the stock will take three weeks to finish, up to 20 coats of finish/oil drying and hardening between each application. The "other" stocks I made took about a month all in all.

Maybe August? :) -

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 01:21:52 AM »
I guess it won't be long before you open the box and out pops Jim assembles,finishes your rifle and you ship him back in the crate :D

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 01:36:15 AM »
Got my vote! Exceptional idea. That's probably why you make the big bucks. Always thinkin'!

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 01:39:39 AM »
Just so I know for future reference, are you Joe S., The Joe S., or the original Joe S. Twice removed on his mothers side? Like to know who I'm doin' buisness with.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:41:27 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 01:55:23 AM »
Just so I know for future reference, are you Joe S., The Joe S., or the original Joe S. Twice removed on his mothers side? Like to know who I'm doin' buisness with.
Which has always made me wonder, are you the original Squirrel Pizza or the new and improved Squirrel Pizza?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
actually I'm just Joe S. I think chuck Walla was the original Joe S.When I first  come on here I really did not do my do diligence and chose a handle already taken. He changed from Joe S to Chuck Walla.Still feel a little bad about it though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:02:15 AM by Joe S. »

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 03:17:04 AM »
Now that we have that straightened out I'll sleep better. And Mike, there is only One Squirrel Pizza. It is I. The original but always hoping to improve Squirrel Pizza! At your service Sir.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:18:56 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 04:34:48 AM »
It's CNC capability at it's finest. With very good programming. The machines can cut repeatedly with in tenths of thousandth. Once set-up.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 05:17:13 AM »
I agree to a large extent. But the product that comes out is only as good as the materials that go in. I don't think that machine, be it a very expensive complicated machine, understands the nuances of a fine rifle. When I bought my CVA kit I could never have imagined something like these. Or cell phones and the world at your finger tips. I'm communicating with a 4" gadget to a satellite in space. Pretty cool. It can show art, but it can't make art. No machine can. You say the machine can duplicate to x thousands of an in repeatedly. I bet when all the kits are sold and all are finished no 2 will be the same.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:20:41 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 06:09:21 AM »
It's CNC capability at it's finest. With very good programming. The machines can cut repeatedly with in tenths of thousandth. Once set-up.

oldtraveler - only 61?  My daughter just bought a small CNC machine for the library evening work-shop Build-it class she runs. As you noted, that machine's precision is noted as .00025".  Absolutely amazing, but I assume it is only as accurate as it's programming.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 01:47:58 PM »

oldtraveler - only 61?  My daughter just bought a small CNC machine for the library evening work-shop Build-it class she runs. As you noted, that machine's precision is noted as .00025".  Absolutely amazing, but I assume it is only as accurate as it's programming.

I have a target pistol stock that was CNC machined in 1978 by Schweiker in Augsburg,Germany.
It represents a Weber&Reusch percussion gun of fine quality in .31 caliber. I made up about 110
locks for this project that looked like a small Schuetzen lock.
Jim Kibler's kit is a real help to those of us who haven't the time or skill to build such a piece.
I know it represents my personal favorite long rifles.
I talked to Barbie in her booth at Friendship and she said the Kibler rifle is certainly a help to
her and Jim with the need for the late Ketland locks.I offered to help her if needed.
Top quality parts properly assembled with care will produce a top quality long rifle and it's
long over due.

Bob Roller

Offline Captchee

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »
I agree to a large extent. But the product that comes out is only as good as the materials that go in. I don't think that machine, be it a very expensive complicated machine, understands the nuances of a fine rifle.

The machine doesn’t need to  understand nuances , right now only the programmer need to know that . For many years , if one has the money , even a  programmer hasnt been needed . All that’s needed is an original piece to scan . The scanner  compiles its data  in 3 demission and saves to a file . That file can be used to reproduce  the part . The auto industry has been doing this for 15+ years  to make moulds and stampings.
 Im not talking about a 3d scanner  making a plastic part . im talking  hand scanners that you wave slowly along a part .

All those discussions and classes on architecture and design . Those topics concerning small details,,,, well folks  the accuracy is near exact .
 What im getting at is if you where to use that tool and scan an original rifle  it would  have the same nuances as the original .

Don’t get me wrong , I like what Jim  has done  and what he is offering .
 What surprises me is that  we have resisted  this technology for so long .
 I remember  having discussions  around the shop when folks started offering a lot of pre carved stocks.  it’s the end  of craftsmanship people said .
 Well , there was a lot of work on those pre carves left to do  if you wanted a reasonable representation  .
This however ??? doesn’t seem to be a lot  but to bolt parts together . 

Again don’t get me wrong . I think Jims putting out a wonderful  kit in the level of detail that’s been sorely needed for a very long time .
 It just makes me wonder how all the historical aspects of creating   such pieces of history  will fair in this new age 

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
There will always be folks that will want to tackle a rifle build from a slab to finish.I think somebody with limited skill or the folks wanting to see what it's about,get their feet wet,its perfect.I think most folks already at that level will probably want to climb the ladder to the next step.The folks buying your store bought composite type muzzleloaders won't usally even go that far and that fine too.Be a long time before you walk into wallyworld and see a line up of all different schools in the rack,Imho.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
Don't get me wrong Mr Captchee, as I said with I phones and satellites I think technology and modern break throughs are wonderful. And I wouldn't mind having a couple of these kits. I'll probably get one soon enough. Wheather it's the skill set of the person making them or for the almost fool proof instant gratification of a couple hours and viola! A shootable rifle. But there's a lot to be said for the person who can look at a tree or a rock and say "I'm gonna make a so and so out of that ", and do it. Without access to a 3 axis variable powered laser thingy with optional Knutson attachment. The one Mr. Kibler has seems to work real well.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
yep, seems to work very well indeed

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 01:57:19 AM »
OK - Back to the build.... I pulled the barrel and opened (elongated) the pin holes to allow for wood expansion and contraction, then I installed the front and rear sites, and the trigger guard (with a VERY rough filing as a start). All  pins and parts are in, assemble the lock again tonight to test everything, then polish all metal and prep for finish.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:57:45 AM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 03:18:34 AM »
Looks great!  One minor detail...  The threaded ramrod tip end typically goes into the stock first.  The ramrod will need a very slight taper towards the tip for it to go into the stock smoothly.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Jim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 04:41:07 AM »
Looks great!  One minor detail...  The threaded ramrod tip end typically goes into the stock first.  The ramrod will need a very slight taper towards the tip for it to go into the stock smoothly.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Jim

That is how the rod on my squirrel rifle is, threaded end into the stock. On other rifles, I have threaded ends on both ends, 8x32 on one end and 10x32 on the other.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 05:35:36 AM »
Thanks - Noted - I will swap the ramrod direction - The design will allow either direction - Stained the rod and will readjust as needed -

Offline lost arrow 801

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 05:38:28 AM »
I've gotta have one of these. Simply amazing

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 06:23:16 AM »
Two things this kit does very well (thank you Jim! ) It gives the newbie an authentic style rifle . An the new builders a rifle style that they can use as a tremendous guide line for building. Far better than looking at pictures in books. As other's have said. You have done an outstanding job!!!!!