Author Topic: setting up lock and set triggers  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
setting up lock and set triggers
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:46 PM »
I have had a few questions regarding setting up the flintlock and set triggers on my Mountain Rifle Kit.  Specifically one gentleman was describing a condition where there was intermittent problems with the lock holding full cock.   Here is a description of the set-up process I have recommended.  I thought it would be good to share it here as well.  If you have any questions, just let me know.

-  Make sure the lock will hold full cock out of the stock.  With the flint removed for safety reasons, work the lock while out of the stock.  Inspect the sear and tumbler relationship.  Make sure the sear is falling fully into the full cock notch when the lock is cocked.  Work the sear while holding the cock to feel the sear/ tumbler engagement.  Make sure there is positive engagement.   If everything feels fine, replace the flint and trip the lock with the frizzen down multiple times.  Make sure your fingers are clear of the flint travel path.  This will ensure there is no issue with the lock itself.  

-  Coat the entire internal lock surface with transfer color (prussian blue, inletting black, candle soot etc.).  Install the lock in the stock without the trigger in the stock.  Bolt in place.  Work the lock from the rest position, to the half cock position and finally to the full cock position.  Remove the lock, being careful to not have fingers in the path of the cock should the lock trip while removal.  After the lock is out of the stock, lower the cock to the rest position.  Inspect the wood to see if there are any areas where transfer color has indicated the moving parts of the lock have touched the wood.  If any of these locations are noted, remove the wood with a chisel or gouge.  Pay particular attention to the hole what the sear arm extends into.  If there is wood interference, this could prevent the sear from positively engaging the tumbler on a regular and consistent basis.  Repeat the above steps until there is absolutely no wood interference on the lock moving parts.  This step is a requirement in setting up any flintlock rifle or kit.

-  After the steps outlined above are complete, install the lock and triggers in the stock.  Make sure the bolts holding the lock and trigger are tightened.  Hold the front trigger between your fingers and work back and forth.  There should be slack between the front trigger and the lock sear.  That is, you should have to pull the trigger back just slightly until the trigger engages the sear.  You must have slack at rest, half cock and full cock.  There should be absolutely no pressure on the lock sear unless the front trigger is pulled.
If there is contact with the sear, you must take the trigger apart and grind material from the top of the trigger bar.  Repeat the above steps until there is play in the front trigger.  You should be able to work the front trigger back and forth and feel when the trigger contacts the sear.  You must have play in the front trigger while the trigger is at rest.  This applies to the lock being at rest, half cock and full cock.  This step is again a requirement in setting up a flintlock rifle or kit.  

-  With the lock and trigger in the stock, perform a similar operation on the rear trigger.  With the rear trigger, you will apply pressure to the back of the trigger to feel when it contacts the sear.  There MUST be slack or play between the rear trigger and the sear.  Check this with the lock at rest, half cock and full cock.  If there is no slack, Remove the trigger, disassemble and grind material from the top of the rear trigger bar.  Repeat the steps above until there is slack or play between the rear trigger bar and the trigger.  You do not want any pressure on the sear from the trigger bars until the trigger is pulled.

Thanks!

Jim
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:17:13 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline heinz

Re: setting up lock and set triggers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:43:48 AM »
Nice explanation Jim!  The spring on the rear set trigger "throws" the rear trigger at the sear bar.
heinz
kind regards, heinz

Offline elkhorne

Re: setting up lock and set triggers
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:53:18 PM »
Jim,
Thanks again for you great explanation on the lock check and set trigger setup above. Do you have any different suggestions if you are going with a single trigger. I guess I have always heard the goal is to have the top of the trigger bar just touching the bottom of the sear with no pressure on the sear but can you enlighten us if there are any other things we need to do or watch for? Thanks in advance.
Elkhorne