Author Topic: Kibler-yet again  (Read 9008 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Kibler-yet again
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 02:05:21 PM »
      Thanks for all the nice comments on the gun.  The credit for the architecture has to go to Jim Kibler and his excellent kit.   I don't see how he could make it any easier.  If all styles of longrifle were available in kits like this,  I and a number of others would be out of business.   
       Mike, as to the cheek piece inlay; I was working on the restoration of an original John Derr rifle at the same time.  The simple moon cheekpiece inlay on that rifle was made from a coin rolled out thin and just a couple of simple circular cuts.  I liked the simplicity of it, and of course being primarily a PA long rifle builder it is hard for me not to put something on the cheek piece. 
        I thought about a poured pewter nose cap, but wanted to keep the price down on the gun when I put it up for sale, so I did not put the extra time into doing one.   
         Mauser06 I have written the process for the Clorox metal finish up a number of times and it has been discussed pro/con here a number of times.  I am sure a search for "Clorox metal finishes" will give you all the process.  Be careful with Clorox, the fumes are dangerous.

Ron 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »
Great job Ron. I am looking forward to seeing you at the KRA show in a couple of weeks.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »
Yes Jim, I am looking forward to it.  There is to be a really nice collection of Bucks Co. rifles this year.    See you there----Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard