Author Topic: E Marshall rifle patchbox?  (Read 7329 times)

Boompa

E Marshall rifle patchbox?
« on: June 19, 2016, 04:57:15 AM »
 I have wood and most of the parts to build a Christian Springs, Edward Marshall rifle in .62 cal. I'm not a big fan of patchboxes from a practical standpoint 'cause I really don't utilize them very much. The only rifle I've owned with a sliding wood box I didn't care for. It seem to get stuck at times and the lid would occasionally slide out of the mortise completely. To me anyway, it seemed more of a hassle than it was worth.  I'd like some input on a correct metal patchbox with a hinge, etc. Ideas?

Offline Chowmi

Re: E Marshall rifle patchbox?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 07:18:20 AM »
You might check the book on Moravian Gun Smiths, unfortunately, I do not have it. 
Looking through RCA, in the Christian's Spring section, the only one with a brass patch box is #43, which is unadorned and fairly plain.  It has no side plates, and a rounded nose on it, more oblong than you would see on a wooden patchbox. 

All the others either have a wooden patch box, except one that has a brass side opening box that Shumway says is a modern replacement. 
Wish I had more references for you.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Boompa

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »
  Thanks.  I saw the rifle with the plain brass box too but I don't think that's the E Marshall rifle, at least if we're talking about the same rifle.  I've done many internet searches and have come up empty. I may just skip the patchbox, it would be better to leave it w/o the box rather than use the wrong one. I'm not a "HC" fanatic but I'd like to stay close to a correct gun.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »
Boompa,
     Check here there is quite a bit of info.   http://www.erickettenburg.com/Site_2/Part_12.html  Great gun  connected to to man with a very interesting story!.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:29:06 PM »
If you did not build it as a Marshall rifle, changed the furniture and architecture some, then an early brass box such as on the Musicians rifle aka Fessler rifle could work.  But building an iconic easily recognized Marshall rifle with a brass box would seem mismatched to me.
Andover, Vermont

Boompa

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 04:45:39 PM »
  Good info on the E Marshall.  Rich, is this what you're thinking of?:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=29420.0

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 06:40:17 PM »
Boompa,
you are right, that is not the Edward Marshall rifle. 

I misunderstood your post and thought you wanted to deviate from the original and do a metal patch box instead of the wooden one. 

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »
  Good info on the E Marshall.  Rich, is this what you're thinking of?:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=29420.0

Yea, that contemporary rifle of Acer's has aspects of the Musician's rifle in it, especially the patchbox construction.
Andover, Vermont

Boompa

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
Boompa,
you are right, that is not the Edward Marshall rifle. 

I misunderstood your post and thought you wanted to deviate from the original and do a metal patch box instead of the wooden one. 

Actually your post was very helpful and I'm undecided at this point where I'll steer this project.  I'm not hung up on duplicating a true E Marshall but would like to maintain the theme of rifles built in that area and at that time. The wood I have has the barrel channel cut and RR hole drilled but beyond that I'll have all the mortises to cut, general stock shaping, and so forth.  I can go in a number of directions with it.
    I've seen contemporary Christian Springs guns with no patch box at all. Does anyone know of an original that sans the patch box?  I'm a rookie, this will be my 6th rifle including two that were kits.  All input invited.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:07:17 PM by Boompa »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 01:29:11 AM »
I think I did an early rifle with out a box a while ago, I like how it looked. I "suppose" there must have been some made with out. Let me see if I can find a pick of it....

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 01:32:53 AM »
I think I did an early rifle with out a box a while ago, I like how it looked. I "suppose" there must have been some made with out. Let me see if I can find a pick of it....

Hey, that gun lives in my house!
It's a shooter for sure.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 02:05:08 AM »
Thought you might recognize that. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Boompa

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 03:05:59 AM »
  Looks good Mike. I've seen pictures of an original Jaeger w/o a patchbox.  Logically, there must have been others.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 05:04:37 AM »
Thought you might recognize that. ;)
Took a bunch of my fellow Kentucky Hillbillies to school with it back in November. They're still mad.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »
This is a contemporary piece with  the  Marshal rifle I believe. It was made in Germany but found its way over here. It has all the rifle features but is a smooth bore half stock. It looks fine with out the butt trap.

free image hoster for websites
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:18:27 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline blienemann

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 08:01:02 AM »
There's a "twin" to the E Marshall rifle - shown in Whisker Early American Flintlocks p 164 and Whisker Arms Makers of Colonial America pp p148-149.  Same architecture, mounts, triggers, full round barrel and no patchbox.  I don't have OK to copy photos from book and publish online, but you might have one of these books or buy/borrow a copy through interlibrary loan.  Interesting piece, Bob

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 01:14:04 AM »
I have always thought that a rifle without a patchbox looks unfinished, but that's just me. I also don't like  cheekpieces without an inlay.

Incidentally if you don't really use a patchbox, why would you care if it sticks?

Boompa

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 03:08:04 AM »
I have always thought that a rifle without a patchbox looks unfinished, but that's just me. I also don't like  cheekpieces without an inlay.

Incidentally if you don't really use a patchbox, why would you care if it sticks?
   I like the looks of many patch boxes.  That sticky patch box is one reason I got into the habit of of doing without one. There's always a different perspective.;D