Author Topic: Using brass black  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Squirrel pizza

Using brass black
« on: June 21, 2016, 03:46:26 AM »
Hey ya'll, I've never used brass black but I've seen the results. Don't know if he used it wrong, was lazy or what but it looked terrible. Working on a rifle with brass hardware. Want iron but that is cost prohibitive to make to match what I have. Has anyone used brass black with good results? How to buff, polish, whatever to make it look like blued steel or is it a waste of time. Opinions, suggestions,how to most welcomed. Thanks, Mike

Offline Squirrel pizza

Re: Using brass black
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:18:19 AM »
Mike Brooks, I know you're dying to give me your opinion, and honestly I'd love to hear it! What do you think? All kidding aside I respect your work and thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:24:45 AM »
I like to use Brownels Oxpho-blue on brass. Makes sort of a brownish patina and can be rubbed back with 0000 steel wool if you want to lighten the high areas.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 05:48:59 AM »
If I can make all parts finish alike, even, don't really care if it looks fresh blued, worn patina, etc. just not brass. What I saw was "splotchy". Looked like you used a scripto marker pen. Ya know? How to make it even? Heat? Of course clean degrease, follow instructions, but there's always a trick. Or some method other than "brass black ".
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:54:54 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:59:22 AM »
Nate, a brownish patina would be wonderful. Is it a matter of common sense and following directions on bottle or did you come across a method thru trial and error? Brown is good. Blue would be better. Thanks for input.

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 07:20:33 AM »
Imho trying to rush the process (poor cleaning, prep, working time etc.) is what usually gives you bad results. For solutions, these guys have a great selection
http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=34&category=6#
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:27:59 AM by KNeilson »

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 07:54:47 AM »
Look into ammonia fuming...

I have a strong dislike for brass...i did the brass of my TC Hawken...brass black wore off quickly and didn't look good to begin with after numerous attempts...

Ammonia fuming worked awesome...only part that wouldn't take was the trigger guard...I'm guessing it's not brass...

I can't find any decent pics in my account...mine turned a chocolate brown...i waxed over top of it and hunted with it a few years now and still looks good..even the buttplate that sees the most wear...

Basically you put ammonia in a container and suspend the parts above it and seal off the container...

I forget how long..Google aughta tell you...

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
For Oxpho-blue, just put on a coat or two onto a clean surface then rub back to where you want it with 0000 steel wool or burlap. I prefer burlap.  44-40 cold blue will give you a black color. Use it the same way.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 06:00:37 PM »
I believe the trigger guard is a TC. Laid dads TC Hawken next to it, except for bend it looks identical. Suppose I could find out if it's solid brass but I never really had a reason to think it wasn't solid brass until now. The "brass" parts on my rifle have a nice patina, I just assumed.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
Mine seems to be brass...but I've never checked to see if it actually was...it would not time like the nosecap, buttplate, patch box etc..

I made sure it didn't have a coating of anything..steel wooled it..sanded it...it wouldn't take at all...

Offline davebozell

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 03:50:03 AM »
I have used Historic Houseparts "Brass Tarnishing Solution".  The brass needs to be submerged to get even results.  This solution will turn brass totally black if left in the solution long enough.  It also works on steel, but the parts do not need to be submerged.  Gives a pretty even "French gray" finish on steel.  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:35:41 AM by davebozell »

Hadden West

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 04:30:47 AM »
The cleaner the brass, the better the brass black takes. Steel wool or scotch brite pad the brass to remove the oxidation, or whatever it is, but the more you get down to finished clean brass, the better it will look, regardless of what you put on it. If you get lazy, then the results will show.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »
Dave, on the Historic Houseparts solution does it stay colorfast or does it want to come off when buffing?

Offline davebozell

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 02:31:46 AM »
I initially rubbed it back with gray scotchbrite, but normal handling hasn't had any effect on it.  As long as you aren't too aggressive with your polishing, I'd think it would be fine.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 05:45:10 AM »
If I achieve a color that's tolerable what to seal it with? Even if I played with it found a color I liked, then what? Spray Polly? Clear coat? Leave as is and expect to redo in future? I don't want to put too much into blacking brass as I plan on keeping maple stock for target gun with Palm rest but want to restock in walnut if I can find someone who won't charge me my next child. Figured Mr. Kibler was busy but asked if he could take my maple stock and copy to walnut. Waiting to see.