Author Topic: Octagonal Barrel Inletting  (Read 5062 times)

bcline

Octagonal Barrel Inletting
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »
Gentleman,

I am knew to this site and I greatly appreciate being added.  I am wanting to start inletting my barrels by hand.  I have a router setup that works well, but I feel hand inletting is becoming a lost art.  I have searched and searched for videos, books, dvd's etc. on the topic with very little success. 

I would appreciate any and all advice, tutorials, etc.

Thank You

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Octagonal Barrel Inletting
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:53 PM »
Did you search the tutorial section? There are at least three or four methods builders use for hand inletting.

Hmm. I just did a search of the tutorials, and did not find one. Any authors out there that covered this subject? Member 'Long John' did a tutorial, and even did a demo one year at Dixon's Fair.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:53:28 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

thimble rig

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:59:36 PM »
I know Peter Alexander covers it in his book.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »
Mark Silver- stocking a long rifle with hand tools [ DVD]
Hershel House-  DVD-  uses a spindle cutter and chisels
Mike Miller-DVD    inlets a pistol barrel with hand tools
Lots of books detail how to do it.  I use a gouge, planes, chisels and scrapers.
I can inlet a swamped barrel in a day, working at a less than frantic pace .

Offline KC

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:14:54 AM »
I think Mike Miller's tutorial had a good bit of information on barrel inletting. The whole tutorial is a good read for someone building a rifle.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline KC

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »
Correction - Mike Brooks, don't know where Miller came from.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:08:24 AM »
I think Mark Silver's video is your best bet if you want to learn stocking with hand tools.

You will most likely have to make a few tools.   I made a sidewall saw (very similar to a stair tread saw) that helps a lot when used with 3/8" square steel guides that you will also have to make.   I wouldn't want to try to inlet a barrel without my octagonal scraper that I made about 40 years ago out of an old file. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:16:11 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline gwill

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 01:09:24 AM »
There's also a good tutorial on hand inletting a barrel on Jack Brooks' website. 

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 01:35:53 AM »
I think Mark Silver's video is your best bet if you want to learn stocking with hand tools.

You will most likely have to make a few tools.   I made a sidewall saw (very similar to a stair tread saw) that helps a lot when used with 3/8" square steel guides that you will also have to make.   I wouldn't want to try to inlet a barrel without my octagonal scraper that I made about 40 years ago out of an old file. 

That's why I listed that video first.  It changed how I did things overall.  Best part is, it doesn't take that much longer [ no machine set up]  , and you have infinitely more control

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 02:00:02 AM »
Correction - Mike Brooks, don't know where Miller came from.
I haven't inlet a barrel by hand in 30 years. Not my tutorial, probably Jack Brooks'
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 02:48:01 AM »
You can also go to youtube and look up the Gunsmiths of Williamsburg and see a little bit of hand inletting.  It does not go into a lot of detail, but it gives you an idea.

Coryjoe

Offline davebozell

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 03:43:36 AM »
I have inletted a couple barrels by hand lately, but I am not an expert.  I purchased 1/4" x 1/2" steel rectangular stock from McMaster-Carr.  I drilled holes every 3" or so and countersinked them.  I located the barrel on the stock where I wanted it and screwed the rectangular stock on each side.  Initially you will probably need washers to make sure the steel contacts the side flats of the barrel.  Once the first 1/4" or so is inletted, I took out the washers.  This works for straight and swamped barrels.  Use sharp chisels and take your time.  Once the barrel is down part way in the inlet, use your favorite inletting solution to mark the high spots.