Author Topic: Lehigh build  (Read 3066 times)

Offline T*O*F

Lehigh build
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:25:56 PM »
I'm teaching a newby how to build a gun from scratch.  He's with me 2 days a week and has chosen a Lehigh.  The blank already had the barrel and ramrod channels cut.  Fri and Sat he got the barrel channel cleaned up, inlet the tang, and installed the underlugs on the barrel.  I have him the small book on Lehigh rifles to read as homework.

Looking a bit ahead, I have this old patchbox.  It has no side panels with it.  Does anyone happen to have the engraving details of the head and/or side panel ideas or detail?

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Lehigh build
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »
 I knew I had seen the design before, Pg 11 of an old Don Ead's catalog, #3. Always thought the engraving design could be changed to that of an Indian head with big ear bobs. At least I think this is it. Attributed to Leonard Ready, Gratztown, Dauphin Co.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:12:19 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:34:30 PM »
Always thought the engraving design could be changed to that of an Indian head with big ear bobs.
I agree.  That's what I thought it was.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:12:29 AM »
I guess to clarify, what I'm looking for are some fairly detailed pictures that I can adapt to turn this patchbox head into a Lehigh  or Indian head.  I'm a lousy artist and have fooled around with this before, but no success.

I've made it thru 15 of the 31 pages the search engine returned so far with no success yet.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline davebozell

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 04:53:11 AM »
See Eric Von Aschwege's website, www.neahkahnieflintlocks.com.  He has several illustrations of Indian heads that should be adaptable to your needs.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
T*O*F,
Could you use this patchbox blank to adapt into one of the fleur-de-lis patterns so classic to Lehigh school rilfles? As Dave said go to Eric's website or Allen Martin's website to see some examples. Good luck with your student, I'm sure your student appreciates your efforts.
Elkhorne