Author Topic: Finished my Hawken  (Read 7866 times)

Whaleman

Finished my Hawken
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:56:47 PM »
After almost a year and a half I have finished my Hawken. This is my second build. I have posted many questions here and always received very helpful info. I asked Dick at Pecatonica about two years ago to look for a real nice stock. It took about 5 months to find one but I am very happy with it. Some of the problems I had:
1.   I had to have Pecatonica breech the barrel a second time as I totally screwed up trying to fit the tang to the breech the first time. I did learn and got the second one fine.
2.   I went and screwed up the first triggerguard when it cracked trying to bend it. Used a little heat and the second time around with a new one and it bent fine.
3.   The bridle seemed loose and I spent a lot of time fitting a bushing.
4.   The sear screw seemed very loose. I filed out and threaded a new screw and carefully fit it and it seems perfect.
5.   The staple underlugs installed by Pecatonica were off from where they needed to be. I might have had to move the barrel back too far to fit the tang in the precut stock. I cut them off and installed dovetailed underlugs. They seem way better.
6.   My hammer was not hitting the nipple as perfect as I wanted. This was a learning experience. I screwed up two hammers before I learned how hot to get it and how to grab it and the third one bent fine and hits dead center on the nipple.
7.   I realized that the front trigger supplied was the straight one and I wanted the one with the little curve. Junked the straight one and ordered the one I wanted. Was able to bend with heat to be more Hawken. The trigger pivot pins seemed way too loose and I fit new pivot pins with # 39 drill bit rod.  They don’t wiggle sideways like they did.
8.   When Herb said he sometimes faked the solder fill of the underrib I ground out the rib and filled with solder.
9.   Poster JPK on this site j.kilts@hotmail.com was nice to help me and did the beautiful color case hardening. He had to unbreech the barrel as I could not. He did say it was stupid tight. He refit the breech and the color case hardening is beautiful. The pictures don’t do it justice.
10.   I spent hours looking at pictures of Hawken lock panels. There is a lot of variance. I just picked the look I liked best.
11.   The front sight supplied by Pecatonica was brass with a silver blade. Herb, who answered many of my questions, sent pictures of Jim Bridger’s rifle and said it was copper with a silver blade. So I found a copper one at MBS and Herb was nice to show me how much to leave sticking out the side.
12.    I gave up trying to learn to rust blue. I need lessons I guess. I polished up everything and sent to Hot Flash Refinishing and for $107.00 they hot blued everything. I am sorry I took this easy way out. But they did do a very nice job.
13.    Pecatonica sent a brass ramrod end. Herb told me real Hawkens have steel ramrod ends. I have built one with a color case hardened end and one with blued steel. I also built one with the brass and for real shooting would use the brass as I think it would be better for the barrel.
Please give all the thoughts you have. Not so much for me as for someone else. I learned so much looking at old posts. Thank You all for the help. Dan

Whaleman

Re: Finished my Hawken
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »
Wanted to show the color case of the buttplate. Dan

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »
Wow!   Looks great!   Love the case coloring!   

I'd say you did a good job! 

I like the stock a lot...

I agree...i wanted steel ramrod tips on mine to match...but there's no way I'm putting steel in my bore..

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:35 PM »
No problem, a little 320, 400 and 600 paper will take it right off ;D
Seriously it looks good.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »
You may have had some aggravating problems in the build, but the result is absolutely gorgeous.  Congratulations.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:53:01 PM »
Nice job, can't find fault with it at all. Now go choot it!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 11:04:42 PM »
Plains rifles aren't my area of interest, but I agree with Hanshi.  It is gorgeous.  Now go do as Mike says and shoot it.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

thimble rig

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 12:23:04 AM »
Really good job on youre rifle.What did you use for  the stain?Ths case hardening turned out great.Now the fun begins range time.

rfd

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 12:47:06 AM »
beautiful hawken, sir!  you did a FINE job, indeed.  what was your finish schedule and materials?

i'm in the long process of having a special "hawken" built for me - half stock flinter in .50 caliber - the barrel and siler lock will be left in-the-white for it to patina over time, i will do the wood finishing, and though the furniture is all steel i refuse to put anything steel/iron down its custom rice barrel, brass rod ends only.  the brass will deeply patina over time to the point it will almost look like patina'd iron.  as an example of deep brass patina, here's my chris walker .62 smooth rifle with all brass furniture ... when i first saw the original images i thought it was iron mounted ...

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:49:55 AM by rfd »

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 12:51:16 AM »
Beautiful rifle!! You did a great job,\.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 01:45:15 AM »
No expert here, but I like it none the less.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Whaleman

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for your very kind comments. I used Laurel Mountain Forge Lancaster Maple diluted 1 to 1 with denatured alcohol which allowed me to do multiple coats and work up to what I wanted. I finished with Chambers oil. Dan

Offline KC

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 02:14:06 AM »
Your rifle looks fantastic. Everything about it looks very well done.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

rfd

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 02:43:54 AM »
how did you apply the chamber's oil?

Whaleman

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 03:03:53 AM »
With my fingers. Just a drop or so at a time. I know some use the palm to rub in but I just use finger tips. Multiple coats. Dan

rfd

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 03:17:13 AM »
does the chambers oil dry hard, and if so how long is the dry/cure time?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 03:36:44 AM »
does the chambers oil dry hard, and if so how long is the dry/cure time?

Yes, it dries hard, however you must give it time to dry between coats. Initial coat is heavy and prolonged in the sense you keep sopping it on for at least 10 minutes letting it penetrate into the wood. You then set it aside for another 10-15 minutes and wipe off any excess. After that give it time to completely dry before applying additional coats.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 04:23:21 AM »
Very nice rifle. You done good. Yeppin miss LIKE it a lot.

Boompa

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 05:43:59 AM »
   "You come far pilgrim" "feels like far" "were it worth the trouble?"  "Ahh, what trouble."  

Looks nice, enjoy it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:04:58 AM by Boompa »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Nicely done,the long journeys are the ones you learn the most from.Hope she shoots as good as she looks,let us know

Offline JPK

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »
Now that you have your masterpiece you can enjoy a few days at the range. Thanks for the pictures.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Whaleman

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 12:37:26 AM »
Now that you have your masterpiece you can enjoy a few days at the range. Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks James, I give so much credit to your color case hardening. It is stunning in person. What is the best way to care for it? I have just wiped with oil for now. I have heard of finishes and waxes. Dan

Offline mikeyr

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:15 AM »
how would the case hardening look on a kibler kit ?  Just the breech/tang and the rest of the barrel browned ? also maybe the lock itself or is doing the lock not a good idea ?  I love the case hardened look and the tang/breech I think would look good.
...let's finish a rifle I started back in the 70's...

Whaleman

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 05:33:23 PM »
I am not an expert or even knowledgeable but I don't think it would be normal. With that said it is your gun and there are no PC police that will visit your house if you do. Dan

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »
That is one fine looking rifle Whaleman ;) ;). It says "QUALITY & BEAUTY" ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb