Author Topic: Hacker Martin Rifle on GunBroker  (Read 15489 times)

DICKH

Re: Hacker Martin Rifle on GunBroker
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 04:13:48 AM »
     In the May 1961 issue of Muzzle Blasts Bill Large said in his ad.I'm having Col. Hacker Martin
to build me a rifle around one of my best 40 cal. barrels.That's not all, I'm driving after it and plan
to shoot the hot air with the great Hacker Martin. Got the family tree and my G.G.G. Pop was a big
Bro. off of Hacker's tree.

Richard Henderson

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 05:08:23 AM »
Now guess who had the high bid!
Nit Wit

Offline Molly

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 05:37:15 AM »
I'm sure the auction winner is quite happy.  Most often it's not about dollars but desire.  Congrats!!

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 03:47:13 PM »
I am thrilled beyond belief! I never dreamed I would be high bidder. The seller was stunned also, I think Christmas did him in!
NW

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
     In the May 1961 issue of Muzzle Blasts Bill Large said in his ad.I'm having Col. Hacker Martin
to build me a rifle around one of my best 40 cal. barrels.That's not all, I'm driving after it and plan
to shoot the hot air with the great Hacker Martin. Got the family tree and my G.G.G. Pop was a big
Bro. off of Hacker's tree.

Richard Henderson

I remember that rifle. It had 6 wedges holding the forearm and barrel together and the wood was so green
that when Bill removed the barrel it curved to the right in a very pronounced arc.I don't think it was in Bill's
possession very long after that.

Bob Roller

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »
Fed Ex delivered the rifle today. ;D The photos that were posted on gun broker did not do this rifle justice! It's a beauty with a 52 caliber bore. The pull is perfect for me. After I clean it up a bit I'm going to try a .495 ball and a denim patch. I'll let you know!
Nit Wit

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 01:13:36 AM »
Congratulations on your purchase. You have a piece of our black powder history there..........  Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:22 AM »
 Yes indeed Nit Wit you have a true treasure. Lucky you are. Oldtravler

Offline Molly

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 04:41:31 PM »
Saw another Hacker rifle offered recently for only $7,500.

http://www.davidcondon.com/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:58:38 AM by Molly »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »
Fed Ex delivered the rifle today. ;D The photos that were posted on gun broker did not do this rifle justice! It's a beauty with a 52 caliber bore. The pull is perfect for me. After I clean it up a bit I'm going to try a .495 ball and a denim patch. I'll let you know!
Nit Wit

let us know how it's working out.  Congrats on the purchase!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 07:15:15 PM »
Nit Wit

.495 seems a bit small for a .52 don't you think ? I use a .490 and .015 ticking in a .50

Eddie
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !

Offline Eddie Southgate

• Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »
He was a pretty amazing guy if you stop to think about it from a difference perspective- it was. Those were different times, no internet where you could research and buy anything you needed to build literally anything. He built his guns from scratch, not parts kits.  He used old Ford axles for barrels, build his own rifling jigs, used hand-me-down files and old blacksmithing tools. He was completely self taught.

Amen !   I have not seen a lot of Mr Martins work but I have seen some and it has all been much better than that rifle . I can't imagine him setting that nipple and drum at that angle for that hammer . One leg (lower ) of the patch box has a gap between it and the top that I can't imagine him leaving. The fore end tip looks a bit off also . Hopefully these are all due to photo angle .

Eddie
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:45:09 PM by Eddie Southgate »
Grumpy Old Man With A gun ,,,,, Do Not Touch !