Author Topic: Between coats of finish?  (Read 6466 times)

Offline Mauser06

Between coats of finish?
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »
I am in the final coats of finishing on my stock...

I used Kibler's tannic acid and iron nitrate to "stain".  Heated it thoroughly...then used Chamber's oil finish....

Burnished with a deer antler tine..used blue scotchbrite and oil to go over it..then wiped with light oil..

Now the pores seem closed and ready to start putting the final finishes on...

I'm looking to take it to a high satin sheen...not a heavy gloss...but I'd like a deep finish to continue popping the color and curl...

Any suggestions on what to do between coats and how to apply the next coats???  I don't know if 0000 steel wool between coats is what I should use or not?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Between coats of finish?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:32 PM »
 I'd rub some more Chamders oil on by putting a few drops on the stock and rubbing then in until you build a nice finish, and if it's too shiny rub it down to the degree of shine you desire with rotten stone.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:00:30 PM »
So no need to steel wool, sand etc between coats??? 

I've never worked with maple...it's much smoother and IMO easier to work with than say walnut...

Offline tiswell

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »
+1 on the rottenstone. Put some paraffin oil on a flexible felt pad then sprinkle some rottenstone on it and rub the stock down. Reapply when pad gets real dry. Smooth like baby's behind and leaves a nice soft sheen.
                                                                                      Bill

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »
I make a paste of rotten stone and mineral oil.  Gently rub with soft cloth.  On bright metal, rotten stone paste on 0000 steel wool.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:41:23 PM »
Thanx!!  I have 3 or 4 grades of pumice stone I can use.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
 You want the finest rotten stone you can get so it doesn't cut too fast, or leave scratches. Making sure the oil is good and dry is very important. It will get gummy if it's not totally dry, and literally roll the finish off.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 09:19:32 PM »
Thanx for the info!    I have the finest that I know is available...and definitely will give it cure time before doing so.....

Going to hand rub atleast another coat or 2 on yet..

No sense in rushing the finish after all these months have passed already!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 09:23:35 PM »
Hungry Horse is right about making sure each coat is dry before applying another. With this sort of finish you can't be in a hurry. Once the last coat is dry and before I apply more oil I make a little pad out of a small round of foam and a square of old pillow case, it isn't much over an inch round. I pour a few drops of mineral oil inside then twist it closed and dab it until the mineral oil just dampens the cloth. I then sprinkle a bit of fine rotten stone on the pad and slowly go over the entire stock using circular motions and not using hardly any pressure. This evens the last coat, takes out scratches and the like and prepares the previous coat for the next one.

The next coat is just a couple of drops of Chambers oil on my finger tips and that is applied one area at a time, it is time for another drop when you feel the oil stiffening, getting hard to move and don't worry if there are swirl marks, the next mineral pad application will remove those. Keep repeating with the oil until you have done the stock then let it dry for at least a day, might take more. The Chambers oil isn't going to go shiny on you but then you might want to knock the sheen back and even things out by doing the mineral oil pad treatment as your last step. After that you'll want to use a quality paste wax.

One way to tell if you haven't allowed enough drying is seeing a dull area that gets gummy when worked.

Makes for a beautiful finish you'll be proud of but it takes time.

dave
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:26:37 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »
I appreciate it Dave!  That's a good step by step how to! 

I work a odd schedule so i can only work on stuff for a few hours every other day..ive found a day is about enough in my conditions for the chambers oil...by the time I have my time to work on it again it's definitely cured...

I also have to work on the metal.  So I'm in no rush....very tempting to rush it at the end though...after months of working on it I wanna see it DONE....but if not done RIGHT it's not really done....it'll be done when everything is done right and has the look I am after...

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 09:58:27 PM »
Thanx!!  I have 3 or 4 grades of pumice stone I can use.

Rottenstone is finer than any grade of pumice as best as I can tell (from the web, I've not used any yet). 

You might want to source up some genuine rottenstone.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 02:38:31 AM »
I believe you are right....and i believe the fine grade I have is rottenstone...i will check to be sure...

Found someone on eBay and he had pounds of each...i don't think I'd ever use a pound of each...i asked of he'd sell me a bit of each...he did and I have a good bit of each grain now...

I've used the fine stuff I have to take a satin factory gun to a very high gloss...

I've never used it between coats though...

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 03:04:06 AM »
I don't think you want to use it between coats of anything. It's only to knock down the shine AFTER the final coat. Bob

Offline sydney

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 03:10:31 AM »
Hi--I do it a little different--I use a piece of  1/2 In thick rubber belting as a backing
      I  sand lightly with  600/800  sandpaper
      The belting works better for me as it does not allow you to follow and dips
         or humps in the stock
       You soon have a very flat surface with the pores filled
       Use rotten stone at the end to get the finish you want
         Sydney

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 07:23:16 AM »
Thanx all!!!  Great info!!

I checked...i have 2f and 4f pumice and rottenstone. 

Did a little research and found this...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=41066

As always there's more than one way to skin a coon...

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 06:36:57 PM »
My dad purchased a 1 pound box of rottenstone in 1965 -- I'm still using that same stuff today. He also bought some fine pumice -- I still have the pound and used it only ONCE -- it cuts WAY too fast for me. I mix my rottenstone with water and rub it on the stock with a felt pad (1/2" X 1" X 2-1/2"). Don't rub too long in one area or you WILL cut to the wood - it cuts faster than you think. I use water because the residue will clean off with water very easily and if you want to put more finish on you don't have to worry about any contamination from other substances -- water dries fast also. I use the rottenstone between the last three coats of finish too smooth things out.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
So rottenstoned and oiled 3x....

It looks great. Not sure if I wanna touch it anymore...it's clean and smooth with a nice shine to it but not a plasticy gloss..

Might go one more very light coat..

I need to decide what to do with the metal....

I guess regardless I have to blue my bare steel. From there I can mount it and decide....

Thought about leaving it all "in the white" and letting it go on the outside for a while...i never finished my lock and I loved the patina it took on over a year or 2 and I actually cleaned and oiled it...

Thought about the Clorox treatment...i know some hate that look but I've seen several on here that I love...

My barrel is already blued...so to start I will blue everything else and see how she looks..I'm thinking it'll look good blued and have a nice clean look to it...

Offline PPatch

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 08:13:51 PM »
You are right about not hurrying at this stage, take your time and give it some thought. Remember too that if you grow tired of one finish it is sometimes possible to change the finish at some point in the future.

Like stock finishing metal finishing is a personal thing. Basically you can go  - in the white, cold blue, french gray, browned or rust blued (actually a black). Plus, of course, use some combination of those.

If you choose one or a couple of the above you'll want to experiment some before committing to the actual rifle finish(es). That's all part of the fun of it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 12:29:33 AM »
Certainly is the fun of it! 

I have a bottle of mark Lee express blue...which is a rust blue...

I think I will do the furniture and lock with that and see how I like it...

Like you said...nothing is actually permanent...well...i doubt there is un-doing the stock stain without major sanding....

The barrel is factory blued as is the under rib and thimbles are as well...that can be un-done...

I think rust bluing the furniture will give the rifle a very clean look...maybe "rustic" would be the word...

Anyways...we'll see in a couple days... Wednesday or Thursday I plan to rust blue everything and mount it....if I don't like it I can always take it from there and naval jelly scrub or Clorox bath everything....or remove all the bluing and leave it in the white to age on its own...

The white steel looks pretty cool on the stock now...i think if I left it in the white and didn't remove the blue from the barrel it'd look like I was just lazy lol...

Can't wait to see it all done...will post pics after its all mounted! 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »
An application of naval jelly (aka phosphoric acid) will leave sort of an antique gray finish that is much more rust resistant than bare metal. It is not very protective, but will age gracefully and look WAY more authentic than any boiled in bleach finish. If you start to study pics of old guns you will never see anything even close to the bleach look.