Author Topic: Flintlock kit makers  (Read 5289 times)

mustanggt

Flintlock kit makers
« on: July 01, 2016, 06:06:51 AM »
I got a Early York kit from Jim Chambers six months ago and am just getting started on it finally. Lots of things got in the way but they're behind me now. I know it doesn't make sense at this time but I'm interested after this build to make one with a 36 cal. barrel. I don't see a 36 in his offerings. So I'm looking at Jim Kibler's or a place I've not heard of before, Sitting Fox. Can anyone tell me about them? Thank you

Offline Ezra

Re: Flintlock kit makers
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:56:04 AM »
Go with Kibler, you will not regret it.  Never heard of Sitting Fox.  Track of the wolf have a bunch of kits too.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

mustanggt

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:19:20 AM »
Thanks. Kibler has a good reputation and great skill which was self evident to me. I just wanted to vet the other company so I don't miss anything.

thimble rig

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 03:32:01 PM »
You might want to check with rice barrels.I think he carries light barrels for the jim chambers kits.Different calibers than what chambers carriers.Just look at rices web sight.Or call and talk to chambers and see if they can get what you want in size and caliber.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
Jim's .36 is a fantastic kit.....

mustanggt

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 09:22:43 PM »
Thanks for the help fellas. Looking forward to getting a 36 cal. kit.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 12:57:04 AM »
Thanks for the help fellas. Looking forward to getting a 36 cal. kit.
I'd go with a .32, but that's just me.  ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »
mustanggt,
Would recommend the Kibler kit because all the things I have heard about them has been very positive. I got a Lehigh kit from Sitting Fox several years ago and it was suppose to have a Getz barrel provided with it. Well, to make a long story short, it did but the Getz barrel was used and had staples in it, a stuck breech plug and finally a loose fitting touch hole liner in it. good luck.
elkhorne

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 07:58:57 PM »
Sitting Fox is a guy who puts out component kits similar to TOW and some others. He also offers stuff in the white and finished by various builders whom he contracts with. Quality of the builds can be sort of a hit or miss proposition. The kits are equal to (and probably supplied by) the others, but usually his prices are slightly lower.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 04:36:24 AM »
Have dealt with Sitting Fox he is in Michigan an winter's in Florida. Take Pete's advise . Go with Kibler or Chamber's you won't be disappointed.. An they back there products. IMHO