Author Topic: Questions for pistol shooters, range safety  (Read 3984 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Questions for pistol shooters, range safety
« on: July 01, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »
We had a shooting match recently , and the following questions came up which I'm hoping I can get some opinions from experienced shooters on the site. 
Are there any requirements for muzzleloading pistols i.e. loading stands ?
If at a rendezvous, are you allowed to wear/carry your pistol in your sash ?   From a safety standpoint, my concern is muzzle control.
For Canadians.....is there a blanket permit to transport pistols to any Reenactment ?
I was the one who put on the match, and ended up not allowing the Pistol shooter to compete.  Thanks for your input

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Questions for pistol shooters, range safety
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »
Guns should be loaded only on the firing line when the range is "hot", muzzle pointed up going to/from loading bench to firing line.   Those two would preclude carrying a loaded pistol in a sash.

Loading stands :  I just browsed through the Pistol section of the NMLRA rules.   I don't see any mention of stands being required, which would say to me that unless there are additional local club rules requiring a stand, loading without one is okay, provided the muzzle is under control and pointed skyward at all times.     If a shooter can't keep the muzzle upward throughout the loading process, he needs to either get a stand or not be allowed to continue the relay.

And, there is a possibly unwritten rule, that I have seen written:   the Range Officer's word is LAW.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:56:34 PM »
The main reason that he was not allowed to compete was his lack of respect for myself and the other range officer.  He knew better than we did  ::)   

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 06:00:22 AM »
The only thing I know about pistol stands and NMLRA national rules is that when the line is shut down
to change targets and the end of a relay, the empty pistol "must" be in the pistol stand. They don't want
a bunch of pistols just laying on a bench pointing at who knows what.
The Pistol Shooter

hammer

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »
I originally produced these for my club in 2003.  Have stood the test of time.
Handling and Use of
Muzzle-Loading Firearms

Each Member is responsible for his or her conduct and for bringing to the notice of other Members any deviation by them from these guidelines.

REMEMBER
No firearm is ever safe

A firearm should be secured in a gun case or slip and only uncovered on the firing point. 
Firearms should be kept pointing down range except when being loaded.
Flintlock & Matchlock shooters should be aware of the potentially harmful effect to other shooters of the jet of hot gases and debris from the touch hole.    And should ensure that there is a suitable interval or screen on that side.
Powder horns, flasks or vials should be filled away from the firing point.
Powder, percussion caps and paper cartridges should be kept in a closed container and only uncovered when loading or priming the firearm.
Firearms should only be loaded following the order or agreement to commence firing.
Loaded firearms should not be elevated above the top of the stop butt.   
When rested on the bench the muzzle of the firearm should extend beyond the forward edge.     
If the main charge fails to ignite, the firearm should be kept in the firing position for a short period to allow for any delay in ignition before notifying the Range Officer or other responsible person and taking remedial action.
On an order to cease-fire, the shooter should immediately place the firearm on the bench or ground with the barrel pointing down range and then follow any instructions that may be given.   
At the end of a session, or at the natural conclusion of firing when no order has been given, the shooter will:
When the firearm is not fully discharged:
 -  Bring this to the notice of the Range Officer or another responsible person and agree to fire the remaining charge(s) into the stop butt. 
   When the firearm is fully discharged:
         -  Remove the spent percussion cap(s) or match  or open the frizzen.
-  Demonstrate on inspection that the barrel or chambers of the firearm                                                is/are not loaded, capped or primed.         
 Following the requirements of 11., the shooter should either return the firearm to its case or slip and remove it from the firing point or retire to the rear and remain there while there is anyone forward of the firing point.   
Before going forward of the firing point the shooter should confirm that:-
All firearms have been inspected and declared safe and
That there is no one on the firing point and
All others on the range are aware that someone is going forward.

PAG 10/2010                                                                             

hammer

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 11:16:17 AM »
Mmmmmm.   Afraid the formatting has suffered in being copied over.   Each rule is highlighted, separated. Bold text, etc.   But you get the idea.   Fits neatly on an A4 page.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 04:11:24 PM »
 In my book disregard for the range officer is reason enough to send someone packing. I am not a big proponent of lots of modern range gizmos on the firing line. I think they often distract the shooters. But, I am a proponent of the range rules being followed to the letter of the law period, no exceptions. I often say at our range meetings, that it doesn't matter who shoots, and or, who gets shot, we all lose no matter what.

Hungry Horse

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 04:24:48 PM »
And it's hard to believe we still need to even post stuff like this,some folks shouldn't be allowed to own a house plant let alone a gun.I don't go to public ranges for  a list of reasons,people are just plain stupid and unfortunately it's usally a innocent bystander that pays the price.

hammer

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »
My experience tells me there will always be those that do not see the logic that is so obvious to the many.    Without a reference to a set of range rules this will often lead to arguments and upset.   The last thing to have on a shooting range.  And just spoils everybodies day.   It is important to have posted or distributed the rules that will apply.   And for everyone's notice to be drawn to them. 

When I came to write our club rules above (each one is numbered, lost in copying over) I found it impossible to find another set that I could just copy.    None posted on the internet were sufficiently comprehensive or even particularly well expressed.    Even those from the shooting associations.  And they had to apply to beginners, the more experienced and visitors.  Be easily understood and be in a natural sequence.  The original drafts were reviewed by our members a number of times before all agreed on the final version.    There is also a complementary set for breech loading.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 03:12:21 PM »
This was a rifle or smoothbore match. There was only one fellow who wanted to enter with his pistol. This being Canada, we don't get many pistol shooters at our muzzleloading matches, and the club doesn't even have a designated pistol range as some do.
As for the lack of posted rules leading to arguments...the Range Officer is in charge. Try to argue with him, and you are gone .

hammer

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 10:38:03 AM »
Agreed, Bob.    By why need to have an argument at all?     In my eyes the Range Officer must certainly enforce the rules.    If not agreed by all members before hand and printed up are they the club rules or the Range Officers own personal rules?   

Offline J Henry

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
the Range Officer's word is LAW.
 That sums it up,easy to remember,easy to understand. PERIOD.

Online Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 08:17:18 PM »
This was a rifle or smoothbore match. There was only one fellow who wanted to enter with his pistol. This being Canada, we don't get many pistol shooters at our muzzleloading matches, and the club doesn't even have a designated pistol range as some do.
As for the lack of posted rules leading to arguments...the Range Officer is in charge. Try to argue with him, and you are gone .

In Canada, handguns can only be used at approved clubs.  This includes the grandfathered prohibited handguns.

We have a handgun match on the handgun target trail walk at rendezvous - every year.  Handgun targets (bright red & close) have red numbered signs while rifle targets are identified by black numbered on the signs.  The method of "carry", around the club (off the shooting line) is unloaded, holstered or in the hand, pointing straight down, or straight up, fingers ALWAYS outside the trigger guard.  Slipped into a sash with a sash clip is holstered & safe, as far as I am concerned.  No guns are capped or primed except at the shooting line in preperation to fire, with the exception in cowboy action matches, where the rules are slightly different.

We all load powder and  ball or shot, behind the shooting line, then step forward to the shooting line to prime or cap.  Guns are only technically "Hot" at the firing line.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:22:02 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V