Author Topic: Other areas of PA...books?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Mauser06

Other areas of PA...books?
« on: July 02, 2016, 04:15:50 AM »
So...i have roots in Western PA...and live and grew up and still hunt most of the western side of the state.  South Central and south Eastern PA seem to have the most famous builders in history whose rifle patterns are extremely popular...

There were surely builders in other areas?   

I've found 2 books..."Gun builders of Western Pennsylvania" by James B. Whisker and "Longrifles of Pennsylvania vol. 1 Jefferson, Clarion and Elk Counties" by Russell E. Harriger.

I have no idea what the books entail or if they are worth the money...

I'm not into 100% correct or historically accurate replicas etc...a gun to me is useless if I can't/don't/won't hunt with it...

But if I liked the design/shape/architecture etc of guns built in Western PA I think it would be very awesome to build and hunt with a gun I built patterned after guns known to have originated here..

Any suggestions on those books?  Other books?  Or places to look for info on Western Pennsylvania guns/builders etc??? 

Just something I'd like to start to learn more about.....

Thanx!

Offline James

Re: Other areas of PA...books?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:59:00 AM »
I have both those and there are some fine examples in them.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Col. Barnett

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 05:04:46 AM »
If you would like to talk to some great guys with knowledge of WPa guns and styles, tomorrow and Sunday (July 2 & 3). the Jefferson Co. Longrifles and having their summer gathering at their grounds south of Brookville.  Goggle their name for hours and directions.  Some of the better builders from this site are usually there.

And, on Sept 3rd, at the Jefferson Co, Fairgrounds, is the annual antique longrifle and indian artifact show.  Again, a lot of knowlegable and helpful people and exhibits.

Ric

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:11:33 AM »
An excellent book is "The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania, Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties" by Richard F. Rosenberger & Charles Kaufmann.  You should be able to get this thru an interlibrary loan at no cost, then you will see you like it and can buy it.
Herb

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 05:24:30 AM »
Thanx guys!!!   

Col. Barnett, I found that while searching a bit... unfortunately I am working....and I'm sure I will be in September as that's Labor Day weekend I believe...i work nearly all holiday weekends. 

Very interested in learning rifles and gunsmiths from this area.  If I find rifles that I like, I would like to model future builds towards them.

I don't know that I have family ties clear back to the flintlock era..but there's be something special about climbing the hills over here with a rifle modeled after rifles known to have originated in the area. 

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 05:44:56 AM »
If you are nearby Westmoreland Co. and Somerset Co.  There are a good number of very local rifles and gunsmithing tools available for inspection at local historical societies.  Handling originals is even better than books!  Let me know if I can be of any help.

Jim

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 06:01:27 AM »
Thanx Jim!!   

I'm over in Beaver County...but that's not a far trip...I'd gladly make it! 

If you want you can send me a message of places I should look into!   

Offline Herb

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
A Westmoreland County rifle by Jacob Wigle was found in a dry cave with the body of a mixed blood Indian boy, near Vernal, Utah about 1920.  You can read some about it by doing a search on    Wigle flintlock  by Herb.  Post of Feb 15, 2011 in Gun Building "Does Anyone Build...".  I have researched this builder and even traveled to where he worked, and drove through Beaver County.
Herb

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
Wow herb!  That's a cool story!   I will have to do some reading!!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 11:04:42 PM »
There is an old stone house which belonged to one of the Feree gun makers, up on the hill west of Tarentum, PA. A few decades back there was quit a fuss to save it, when the road dept wanted to go through with a new freeway, more or less parallel to Rt 28 (I used to think 28, along the Allegheny, had the worst potholes in the world. Then I moved to Michigan . . . )
Anyway there was a Feree in western PA, think he made flintlocks. In one or the other major books. Maybe Rosenberg & Kaufmann, maybe Henry Kaufmann.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 01:06:26 AM »
The Kentucky Rifle Foundation has a CD (Vol. 1, Issue 4) of the 2011 President’s Display (Western Pennsylvania Gunmakers). Included are high resolution photographs of some of the best Western PA rifles extant. It can be purchased here: http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/#2011president.

I also recommend the Rosenberger & Kaufmann book. It usually sells for $75.00. If you can find it for less it is a bargain.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
The Whisker book has lots of photos and info.   Not too long ago Track of the Wolf still had it for $40, certainly worth it if that's your area of interest.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Spinner

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 02:49:05 AM »
Col. Barnett is referring to the show that the Jefferson County Historical Society holds every year at the Fairgrounds.  Rich Rosenberger (of Rosenberger & Kauffman) is usually there along with a couple other major collectors.  Ron Luckenbill is there with guns for sale and there will be a raffle for a Abraham Burkett (Jefferson County) replica built by Ron.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 05:47:19 AM »
   One more book, and a place to visit:  "Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon and Somerset Counties"  by James B. Whisker and Larry W. Yantz.  They had copies for sale at the Fort Bedford Museum.  Larry Yantz is the curator of the museum (or was, not sure if he is still.)  I got a signed copy there 5 or 6 years ago. 
   Also Old Bedford Village is a pretty ice place to visit.  They have a working gunshop. Weekends are probably the best time to see the craftsmen and artisans working.