Author Topic: Contract Musket marks- photos added  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Steve Collward

Contract Musket marks- photos added
« on: July 21, 2016, 02:33:24 AM »
Attached are photos of a contract musket with no maker's name on the lock, however, there are other markings I am trying to identify.   The marks in question are at the breech "US/eagle over "CT" in a sunken oval/"V", and a cartouche stamped to the right of the side plate which appears to be "V C W".  Does anyone know what "CT" and "VCW" represent?  Thanks.
   A few additional photos have been added. Barrel is 44 3/4", approx.. .70 cal. smoothbore, overall length is 59 1/2", LOP 12 1/2". Has 3 barrel bands held by springs.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:13:44 PM by Steve Collward »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Contract Musket marks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 06:29:58 PM »
Hi Steve,
For a start, the stock mark "V" over "CW" could be for master armorer, Charles Williams, who worked at Harper's Ferry Arsenal during 1799-1808. He had a stamp similar to your gun and it would have been stamped just rear of the side plate like yours.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »
Can we see the rest of it please?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:10:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Although this musket is not mine, within the next day or so I will be able to take some more photos and will post.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:31:10 AM »
  The V could be a "view" proof stamp.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
Hi,
The "V" is a "view" or inspection mark and the recessed oval with eagle would usually be a proof mark but with the letter "P" under the eagle, not CT.  I believe that was typical of Harper's Ferry, whereas, Springfield arsenal used separate V" Eagle, and "P" marks.  The eagle and P were not combined in an oval.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."