Author Topic: Highlighting Carving?  (Read 3504 times)

George F.

Highlighting Carving?
« on: March 30, 2009, 05:14:51 PM »
I was informed, that black paint applied after a finish coat or two,is used to highlight carving. How is this technique applied. Is it applied to all carving, raised and incised?...Geo.

Offline t.caster

Re: Highlighting Carving?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »
OK, I guess if you are going for the "grungy 200 yr. old look".
Tom C.

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:34:54 PM »
Well done carving will sort of highlight itself but if you want to highlight it just add a tiny amount of lamp black or bone black to the finish and brush it into the areas around the carving with a toothbrush.  Wipe it off the surfaces with a paper towel or your finger. 

Tom

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:55:30 PM »
I have seen Bucks and Berks county guns where black paint was put into the carving.  Or so it appeared.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »
George,
I sometimes use a little lampblack pigment in some raw artist linseed oil to mellow out the recesses & grounds. I do this near the last few coats of finish. Why Raw oil?....because I live with it for a few days before it sets up. This way I can wipe it back until I like the mellowness  or wipe it completely ( well 98 %) off if it doesn't look right to me
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
Make sure you have gun sealed and finished, George. Then apply the black. You can use artist's oil colors, and vary the tone. Pure black can be a bit fake looking, so you can take Burnt Umber, and mix a tiny touch of black in it.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.