Author Topic: Seeking pictures of original H.E. Leman flintlocks  (Read 9004 times)

Offline redheart

Re: Seeking pictures of original H.E. Leman flintlocks
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 03:56:19 AM »
I agree with Mr. Hirsch that the lock he pictured is, in all likelihood, in its original flint condition.

There is a Chief's grade Leman rifle pictured in Rifles of the American Indians by Gale, Ness, and Mikelson (pages 11-16) that has a very similar lock with the same frizzen spring located high on the nose of the plate just like the lock pictured my Hirsch.
Totally agree with Phil Meek,
This rifle is the real deal.
I talked to Jack Brooks on the phone awhile back and he talked about a Leman flintlock rifle that had a lock that was a laughable P.O.S. but he was certain that it was original.
Haven't caught Meek making a mistake yet!

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 09:04:51 PM »

I agree with Mr. Hirsch that the lock he pictured is, in all likelihood, in its original flint condition.

There is a Chief's grade Leman rifle pictured in Rifles of the American Indians by Gale, Ness, and Mikelson (pages 11-16) that has a very similar lock with the same frizzen spring located high on the nose of the plate just like the lock pictured my Hirsch.
I talked to Jack Brooks on the phone awhile back and he talked about a Leman flintlock rifle that had a lock that was a laughable P.O.S. but he was certain that it was original.

Jack is very familiar with the pair of rifles that I posted one of the locks from.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2019, 05:17:35 AM »
Here you go...
Probably 3 or 4 years ago I advertised this rifle on this forum on behalf of my nephew, who was helping a friend at work dispose of it. The friend had inherited it, knew nothing about it and was more interested in modern guns. At the time I posted some photos, passed on the contact information, and someone here did purchase it. It was in "untouched" condition and I doubt had seen much use. While I'm not particularly interested in fur trade stuff, I can say it was an "original flint" rifle. Since I wasn't involved in the sale, I don't even know what it eventually sold for but I seem to remember both the owner and my nephew were surprised at how much interest it generated.

I'm sorry the pictures aren't better. These were saved at the time of the Photobucket debacle - I'm sure the original ones on this site are long gone.

Forget it... the picture function stinks. After 3 tries it isn't worth the effort.
Send me a PM with a real email address and I'll send the photos.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 05:26:16 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline redheart

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »

Jack is very familiar with the pair of rifles that I posted one of the locks from.
CS,
Thanks for posting the photo. :)
I love it!