Author Topic: chip carving horn plugs  (Read 4314 times)

dmb25

chip carving horn plugs
« on: July 19, 2016, 11:45:54 PM »
I have a horn I am working on and I was thinking about chip carving a pattern on it in the same style done as guns stocks (mainly for practice for before) and was wondering if this is something that was done originally and if so does any one have suggestions on patterns.

Offline Top Jaw

Re: chip carving horn plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:13:59 AM »
Most of the chip carving I have seen on originals were patterns that radiated out from a center strap holder of some type in the middle of the butt plug.  Some resembled relief carved flower petals, or a pinwheel, some were a series of v cut S curves, or straight line rays.  But all seemed to be coming from the same point,.... the strap button.  Seems like most were later looking horns, probably percussion era. 

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:30:54 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 03:00:54 PM »
 Now, is that a carved or pressed design?

Tim C.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:40:17 PM »
If you want to practice for carving a gun stock, you need to practice on that style and shape.  Carving a base plug would not give you a similar experience. 

There is a base plug in Jim Dresslar's book The Engraved Powder Horn that has a chip carved base plug.

Coryjoe

I have a horn I am working on and I was thinking about chip carving a pattern on it in the same style done as guns stocks (mainly for practice for before) and was wondering if this is something that was done originally and if so does any one have suggestions on patterns.

Horner75

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
I think that Tim has a good point.  That kind of looks like it was pressed. ???

Rick

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:40 PM »
Good afternoon gentlemen; I do not agree with the idea the horn plug is a press form. Carved yes. Have a great weekending. AJ.   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »
Good afternoon gentlemen; I do not agree with the idea the horn plug is a press form. Carved yes. Have a great weekending. AJ.   

I agree, the plug looks to be carved as opposed to many of the 'rope' pressed horns done in the 19th century. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."