Author Topic: Comments invited on an "original" "restocked" rifle  (Read 12113 times)

Offline Hlbly

Re: Comments invited on an "original" "restocked" rifle
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 07:24:34 PM »
I will be there. I have a table in the antique section.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 12:08:46 AM »
Hibly;

I doubt the smith you refer to would have used a lock this small on a gun this size. My suspicion is some hayseed "gunsmith" butchered a restorable antique, so he could make a homely potatoe he could shoot. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Molly

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 06:09:57 AM »
This has been a very interesting journey.  First of all, once again thanks to Hilbly for lending his views after inspecting the rifle.  I have never proclaimed to have the expertise to make any solid judgments on this rifle.  People better that I have seen it and come to their own conclusions.

What has been interesting, and I have had this same discussion with Hilbly in Lexington, is that one person looks at it and pronounces some features flawed or "bad".  Another person looks at it and pronounces those same features as VERY GOOD.  And the discussion goes on and on and round and round.  Some feel it's a $500 rifle but others feel it is worth of more considerations than just blowing it off as a restocked rifle.

There was a gentleman in the antique display room who had several restocked firearms and a sign on them when something like this.  "Firearms were tools that were use and frequently broken.  Restocking them was a necessity to provide food and protection."  Now that's not an exact quote but it set me to thinking.  Of course we will encounter restocked firearms.  Lives and fortunes depended on having a functional weapon.  So maybe the pure character of an original firearm was lost but tell that to the frontier man trying to stay alive and feed his family.  These firearms were put back into service and probably most often by owners who were less that masters but they still represent a part of history and still command some respect.  Yes, maybe some more contemporary jackass screwed it up even more but look into the soul of the rifle and treat it with some degree of respect.  AND for the record, Ms Molly has allowed me to access this post just this one time, just FYI.

Mr Molly

Offline Molly

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »
OK, that's all from the old man.  I have changed my password and he's OUT!

Offline gibster

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
So what did Hilbly have to say about the rifle.  I was sent pictures and had a discussion on this rifle long before your original post. I have my opinion, and you know what they say about those. But I also told the folks that sent me the pictures that without holding the rifle in my hands, it would be very difficult to make a determination as to the stock being original or a restock. I know Hilbly and value his opinion on NC rifles. I doubt that you will find anyone who has handled more or has more knowledge on them.