Author Topic: Swaged vs cast round balls  (Read 18626 times)

Offline Squirrel pizza

Re: Swaged vs cast round balls
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2016, 03:04:53 AM »
The most important thing I've learned through this ordeal is to not forget the fundimentals or cut corners. This particular rifle MUST be cleaned between shots. Wet patch and dry patch. I believe I could dip my squirrel gun in pudding and shoot 10x, not so with this one. Minute difference between swaged or cast is probably me. Instead of using a wet patch then dry patch, and on next shot reuse the same patch, don't be cheap. Fundimentals. Clean the bore. Load the same way. Don't get lazy!

JOHN L. HINNANT

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2016, 01:35:38 AM »
Good Afternoon Squirrel Pizza,

This thread is a bit old, but I will post some observations anyway.

First, you have established that the swagged  ball shoots accurately. Therefore, the problem must be the cast ball.

I have cast thousands of balls over the years, but that DOES NOT make me an expert on the subject, but let's give this aGO ANYWAY.

If the ball exterior is smooth with no surface defects, the first step has been passed. Next, did you weigh the balls? That is a MUST step. A  plus/minus .2 (two tenths) of a grain is my standard tolerance. Less is even better. I ALWAYS wear medical type rubber gloves when weighing balls. You should also.

Keep all that are heaver for practice. Throw all lighter balls back into the melting pot. Those that are a consistent .3 lighter can be kept for 25 yard practice but no more. Cut some of your reject lighter balls in half with a sharp knife. Pure lead is so soft, it is not hard to cut a ball in half. The lighter balls will most usually have a void in the center.

Try the weighing and report back with your findings. Let us hope that weighing and sorting will solve the problem. If not, then Plan B.

My respects to All,

John L. Hinnant
:God and Texas"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:29:36 PM by JOHN L. HINNANT »

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2016, 04:23:04 AM »
 Throw that bore butter in the trash can ( my opinion) never had any luck using it in my log gun with a 1 1/8 x 44 x.45 douglas barrel .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2016, 03:48:12 AM »
I think you should use the bore butter as it was originally made - lip balm. Of course, the addition of camphor or eucalyptus oil might not be good - or maybe it is?

As a bore lube for hunting - there are lubricants made for the purpose and that purpose only.  SPG - Lyman's Black Powder Gold being 2 of the best for bullets and Neetsfoot Oil or Track's Mink Oil for patched round balls.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:32:45 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2016, 11:23:18 PM »
I thought butter was for toast?