Author Topic: Long Knife and Short knife  (Read 6257 times)

Offline jcmcclure

Long Knife and Short knife
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »
A guy contacted me wanting a knife that was around 12 inches overall. The blade is just over 8 inches and overall length is just shy of 13 inches.

Blade has been forged from a Nicholson File, hafted to whitetail antler crown piece, copper cross pin, and pewter collar and buttcap. The finished piece has a light aged appearance. There is a bit of file done around the buttcap.

[URL=http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/JCMcClure1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160716_191548_zpszio0bpi5.jpg.html]]

This second knife ended up being purchased as a gift before I was even able to get it completely finished. This is going to make someone an awesome patchknife or bag knife; It turned out scary sharp  (Thus the need for the bandage in the last pic). It has a 4 1/4 inch blade, hafted to mule deer antler crown piece, with copper pin, and poured pewter collar and buttcap. 

Offline walks with gun

Re: Long Knife and Short knife
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:42:58 AM »
  Very nice knives, how thick along the back are the blades.  Really like your shooting bag too.

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 04:14:15 AM »
The smaller of the two knives is already boxed up, but I will do a few measurements on the larger.  The tapering of the blade from the spine to edge and heel to tip is something that I take my time on during the forging and during profile shaping. For the comparative size of the blade the spine's have some good heft, but they taper well also.

The Baron

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 03:04:47 PM »
They look great!  I am excited about out little surprise, for a generous stranger.  ;D

Offline webradbury

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »
How do you attach the cap to the butt? I want to do this with a couple of knives I'm making.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 05:49:34 PM »
Very stylish and I bet they feel light and agile in the hand.  You've got a great eye for good lines and the skill to translate that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
How do you attach the cap to the butt? I want to do this with a couple of knives I'm making.

There is a hole drilled into the center of your butt/crown area. Along the outside perimeter of the center hole you can drill a series of holes at an angle, so they will open up into the center hole you have drilled. It is a pretty simple, but if that doesn't make sense with my description let me know and I can do some pics for you or try and explain that better for you.   

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 06:44:40 PM »
Very stylish and I bet they feel light and agile in the hand.  You've got a great eye for good lines and the skill to translate that.

Thanks for the kind words. I had a knife that brought a ribbon home from Dixon's this year and that was a common critique that I got from judges...I am always glad when a knife feels like it is a natural part of your hand.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 09:24:50 PM »

There is a hole drilled into the center of your butt/crown area. Along the outside perimeter of the center hole you can drill a series of holes at an angle, so they will open up into the center hole you have drilled. It is a pretty simple, but if that doesn't make sense with my description let me know and I can do some pics for you or try and explain that better for you.   

Makes perfect sense! thanks!

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 10:34:58 PM »

Makes perfect sense! thanks!

No problem, but if I can help further let me know.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 01:03:31 AM »
  That is my knife got it in the mail last week.Some sweet, Just have to make a case for it and put it with my gear.. 5 " blade and over all 9 1/4 "fits in my hand like it was my palm,,,and it is sharp, hair shaving sharp.
   My sister does some fantastic bead work,,will be talking to her in the AM.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:16:51 AM by J Henry »

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 03:29:43 AM »
 That is my knife got it in the mail last week.Some sweet, Just have to make a case for it and put it with my gear.. 5 " blade and over all 9 1/4 "fits in my hand like it was my palm,,,and it is sharp, hair shaving sharp.
   My sister does some fantastic bead work,,will be talking to her in the AM.

I am glad that you like it...the gentleman who you sent the muzzleblast or muzzleloader mags too (don't recall which of the two it was) wanted to say thanks. Good deeds do not go unpunished.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »
  'On the Trail" Magazine,,some  back issues to 1993,  I hope he is a s satisfied with the magazines as I am with the knife.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 12:03:44 AM »
J. C.

I tried the pewter cap technique you described today on a walnut grip and it worked very well! Thanks! Will

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 02:59:58 AM »
J. C.

I tried the pewter cap technique you described today on a walnut grip and it worked very well! Thanks! Will

Good deal! There are probably more ways to do, and the more experience here would probably explain those ways ,but so far it works for me. Would love to see some pics of that knife!

Offline webradbury

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 08:50:27 PM »
10-4. Hopefully, I will heat treat it tomorrow and finish it Friday. I got all the grass cut today so that's out of the way. Have to finish it though...I can't bring myself to show an incomplete project. Will