Author Topic: Alvin York Chunk Gun Shoot  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Don Getz

Alvin York Chunk Gun Shoot
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:13:46 AM »
I'm looking for comments from someone who was there.  I heard they had some rain, and that the shoot was shortened
to like six targets.   Just curious to find more out about it..........Don

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: Alvin York Chunk Gun Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 04:46:54 AM »
The shoot was shortened to six scores, and we had a window without rain.  Only about 170 shooters, but there were 191 registered.  !st place was a rocklock at under two (2) inches for the six the missing four shots were handicaped at .001" each.  first relay was very damp, but light wind, the second was dryer, but the wind came up.  It was a muddy mess, and they said people could stay, but more storms were coming in.  Farthest distance drove for the dollar watch was 1200 miles from some Yankee up in Connecticut.  My 850 from northern Michigan was a distant third.  Fun was had by all.  We passed the hat for the York school rebuild.  My score, well they were all on the target's, I'm blaming it on the wind, and the fact that the Sun came out in the middle of the second relay, and I had to change my flint, and that changed the ignition timing, and.... I got two pounds of prime ground Charles.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:16:38 AM »

It was very muddy ,wind blew alot for the second group to shoot ,I got a nice package of hamberrger ,my two friends that came down with me got the big meat package and my friend ,Bob Perry, had the best "x" of .018 on the sixth relay using his flinter . The best part of the shoot was my son came over from Hendersonville North Carolina and shot with us. This is the first time in fifteen years that we were able to do that.  Saw some old friends and made a few new ones .Can't get much better then that.  Eric D. Lau  Riverdale MI. 

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:48:36 PM »
Sounds like fun, regardless o fthe weather - Nice to see you again on ALR, Don.  Looking foreward to meeting you at Dixon's.

ERH

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »
Hey Don
 You missed a good shoot!!!!! allways fun to lay in the mud and shoot. ;D ;D

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:39:18 AM »
To bad about the weather, but at least the results show the dedications of those who did attend.  170 of 191 registered shooters is not bad at all!  I do expect this will be one of those matches that is remembered because of the foul weather and the rocklock winning string.  Things sometimes work out that way. :)