Author Topic: Who made this rifle?  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Who made this rifle?
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:12:31 AM »
Homerifle & myself displayed some HC rifles yesterday & today at our annual Peach Festival.  The traffic by our tables & response was the best of any we have experienced  doing this in our hometown. Much interest kept both of us busy.

A fellow brought this rifle by today and wanted to know the maker, neither one of us had a clue. We told him someone on ALR would know & he ask that we post these pictures. This  rifle has been his family for several generations. Backaction/Halfstock with Leman on lock. Any help would be appreciated.   P.S. The patchbox & toe plate appear to be silver, don't know why they look brass color, in person they looked  more silver.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:23:44 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Avlrc

Re: Who made this rifle?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 12:40:40 AM »
More pics,

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:44:31 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 03:29:32 AM »
Notn like anything I am familiar with. The rear 4 patchbox piercings look familiar but the rest of the patchbox isn't. Very interesting wrist to cheek rest transition, I have never seen one like that.
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:32:16 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:21:45 AM »
The Patchbox strongly reminds me of Abias Butler Smith.  Clearly not the signature but certainly some relationship there
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
The last name on the barrel looks like Higgins, or something similar to that. Certainly not Wiley, but there was more than one Higgins.
John
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »
The more I look at that box, the more A.B. Smith I see.  Note the toe plate also.  Reverse termination of the one in the
library.  I found shreckengost made them both ways like that.  I think he cut them and used one on a rifle
and the remaining brass on another.  Less waste.  The engraving has a similar hand also.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:32:06 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »
There were a few gunsmiths from Allegheny County (western PA) that used this acorn finial patchbox. I do not believe this example was made by A.B. Smith as the engraving is far different from what I have seen of his work.   The book "Gunsmith's Of Western Pennsylvania" Allegheny and Westmorland Counties by Charlie Kauffman has a few rifles listed showing this patchbox design. 

I would say the rifle is from that area from around the 1840-50 time frame. Being a half stock and with the stock wood of cherry or walnut??  Is kind of unusual.
Joel Hall

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
Is it just me or are the patchbox and toe plate clearly much nicer than the rest of the gun?  Could they have been from a different, maybe earlier gun and put onto what is otherwise a plain-jane utility halfstock of the mid 19th century?
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »
Taking a second look at the wood and see from the forestock that it is maple.  Still believe it is from western PA. 
Joel Hall

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 01:45:26 AM »
Looks very Western PA to me too
  The signature is not clear enough to make out for sure, but is very similar in style to Thomas Allysson

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 03:47:29 PM »
Thanks for all the input. Here is some  pics I took this morning.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:16:24 PM by Avlrc »

Offline Collector

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 05:13:25 AM »
Back-action lock - single escutcheon - no panel, but rounded -  set trigger - barrel is likely stamped 'Remington' on the underside - 'leaf/spear shaped tang - typical trigger guard and butt plate - plain-ish wood -  cheek pieces are optional:

Guessing the barrel is held with a round pin instead of a key.

Patchbox and toe plate are probably later upgrades.  Maybe a later PA owner.

I'd go with a Western New York origin.

A nice looking rifle.