Author Topic: damascus etchant source  (Read 3220 times)

lhill

damascus etchant source
« on: July 19, 2008, 10:02:33 PM »
nearly finished with the lockplate and side plate for my new build. I forged them out of damascus from my knife building days.I used to use a product called Archer Etchant from radio shack,but it has been discontinued. I have tried Aqua fortis,with mixed results,as it really isn't bringing out the contrast between the mild and 1095 steels.What can I use to etch these plates?

Offline T*O*F

Re: damascus etchant source
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:58 PM »
I also got mine from Radio Shack, but it's called PCB Etchant Solution, part # 275-1535.

Just looked at their website and they still offer it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

lhill

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »
Thanks dave, is this stuff ferric chloride or something else?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 04:18:49 AM »
Yes, It's Ferric Chloride
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson