Author Topic: Powder/Ball Horn And A Bag To Go With It.(Patch Knife Added)  (Read 9791 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Powder/Ball Horn And A Bag To Go With It.(Patch Knife Added)
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »
 This was suppose to be a simple horn but I have a difficult time doing simple.
 It is about 9 1/2" around the outside curve, it has a Brass Thimble on the tip. The Butt is about 2 1/2, made from of Pine. A 29/64 hole was drilled through it (It will take up to a .45 ball) it was then cut in half, the outer piece being a bit thicker than the inter. A channel was cut in the top half that is about 3/16" wider than the hole on either side, this was done to fit a door that was fit to slide open and closed. The 29/64 hole was elongated and a knob was fit so the door could be slid open. The two pieces were glued and tacked together and fit to the horn.
 A base was fit about 2 1/2" up inside the horn and pinned in place. Once the Butt was in it created a compartment for balls. Slide up to open, down to close.
 Looking at the horn it seemed to me that it would be awkward to get a ball out if it was attached to a bag by straps. So I decided to make a strap for it, the buckle is the one I post a week or so ago.
 So now I had a horn but something was missing, a Bag, so I got started on one, I haven't made a Bag in so long I can't remember. This one is 7 1/2 X 8 deep, there is an inside pocket. The back is made of thicker leather than the front, maybe 8-10 oz. This was done to help it keep its shape, the front is maybe 3-4oz. Once stitched it was wet and stretched out with newspaper to make a bit of a bellowed/roomer pouch. The flap is doubled, the hinge piece was then stitched to it and then to the bag.
 The idea for the straps came from a set shown in Tim Albert's
Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch page 84.
 The Pick and brush have Antler handles. The powder measure, 85gr, is Cow horn turned to a cone shape, the Hickory handle was fitted and the whole thing boiled. When was soft enough a form was put inside and it was pressed between two boards in a vice. After drying overnight it came out nicely shaped.
 Color on the horn is AF, then it was heated, Walnut stain added, wiped off and finished with Brown Shoe Polish.   

Tim C.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:50:48 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Powder/Ball Horn And A Bag To Go With It.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
WOW Tim.... You sure have outdone yourself on this one. This whole rigs just fits together. Very nice.

Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »
Very cool Tim, hope to see it in person this week!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:09:16 PM »
That bag & horn are fantastic! I like everything about it ;). Tell me more about the bag -- weigth of leather - how did you sew it to get the sharp edges - did you make or buy those buckles? Great job on both items :P.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
Very nice!
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »
Super nice set!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
I agree, very nice.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:53:04 PM »
Nice set up all the way around Tim!!!! I really like that horn!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:10:38 PM »
  Really a nice combination.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:24 AM »
That bag & horn are fantastic! I like everything about it ;). Tell me more about the bag -- weigth of leather - how did you sew it to get the sharp edges - did you make or buy those buckles? Great job on both items :P.

Paul,
  As I said in the write up the back of the pouch back is maybe 8-10. I saw an old pouch out of the Upper Valley of Va. that was done this way, the Back was Bear skin. The front is about 3-4 oz. It is just stuff I have had laying around here.
 The stitch on the Bag and flap is a reverse Whip Stitch, you don't see it very often. The inside pocket,  Flap hinge, inside pocket are Saddle Stitched maybe 3 to the inch. The straps on the bag and the reinforcement are a Saddle Stitch, I think it is about 5 to the inch. It is all hand stitched. I split some 9 ply Cotton twine down to 4 and used it.
 Hope this answers the questions.

Tim C.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:20:00 AM »
Tim,
Really very nice set. It won't last long on your table in Lexington. Safe trip.
Mark
Mark

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 05:23:57 AM »
I've made two horns with ball or shot compartments. I was never really happy with them. Customers liked them though. I like yours way better. Very nice set all around. I have to say though, I really like your display stand!  :D

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »

Paul,
  As I said in the write up the back of the pouch back is maybe 8-10. I saw an old pouch out of the Upper Valley of Va. that was done this way, the Back was Bear skin. The front is about 3-4 oz. It is just stuff I have had laying around here.
 The stitch on the Bag and flap is a reverse Whip Stitch, you don't see it very often. The inside pocket,  Flap hinge, inside pocket are Saddle Stitched maybe 3 to the inch. The straps on the bag and the reinforcement are a Saddle Stitch, I think it is about 5 to the inch. It is all hand stitched. I split some 9 ply Cotton twine down to 4 and used it.

Tim C.
YUP -- that answers my questions -- Thanks. Nice work by the way!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 12:11:14 AM »

Paul,

Tim C.
YUP -- that answers my questions -- Thanks. Nice work by the way!

PS: The horn strap Buckle I made, the two on the bag are a couple of old harness buckles I had. TC

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 12:44:16 AM »
PSS: After I posted the Pix I realized that something was missing; a Patch Knife. The initial Pic is not very good but you get the idea. It is 7 1/2 overall, the blade right at 3. I hate Patch knives with short handles. Not a Hilt but a Brass Washer at the transition. Blade is pinned in place, it is made from a Saws All blade. I have had good luck with them in the past. A little hard to get an edge on but once you do it stays, just a bit of stropping to keep it Razor sharp.
 The Second Pix shows the case, Reversed Whip Stitched with a Welt. Haven't quite figured out how to mount it so right now it is tided on.

Tim C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 12:49:04 AM »
I have to say though, I really like your display stand!  :D

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have Two more, different styles, that I will have at the CLA show this weekend. One is free standing, as this one is, the other is a Wall hanger. 

Tim 

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Powder/Ball Horn And A Bag To Go With It.(Patch Knife Added)
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 06:57:16 AM »
I hope you don't take offense if I "borrow" your idea. :D

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 03:00:17 PM »
Nice 'package' Tim and love the thimble use.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
I hope you don't take offense if I "borrow" your idea. :D

Steve

Heck no, Which one? TC

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 03:43:05 PM »
Tim!
That rig looks like it is ready for some tough duty. I really like everything about it. The sliding door is a neat idea. I saw two originals that have a dovetailed sliding cover, but your solution is more practical.
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 08:37:30 PM »
SWEET Tim...what a great set...
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:00 AM »
The whole thing just screams "set". Very well done.

Ron
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 12:57:51 AM »
Tim,
Really very nice set. It won't last long on your table in Lexington. Safe trip.
Mark

You hit that one square Mark. It went to a new home early Friday morning.

Tim

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 01:13:08 AM »
Blade is pinned in place, it is made from a Saws All blade.

I have a friend that makes is "bent" knives for spoon carving out of Saws All blades. They are tough and hold an edge. I will try my hand at making a knife like yours.

Do you do any heat treating to the blade?

Thanks.
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »
Blade is pinned in place, it is made from a Saws All blade.

I have a friend that makes is "bent" knives for spoon carving out of Saws All blades. They are tough and hold an edge. I will try my hand at making a knife like yours.

Do you do any heat treating to the blade?

Thanks.

Here is what they start out as, about 4" long. No heat is used. I use a 1/16 bit to drill the pin hole, usually only get 2 holes per bit. The end is shaped to a point, a small hole drilled in the Antler and the blade tapped into it and is then drilled and pinned. If you are going to use a bolster file, needs to be sharp, a small step in the blade to hold it in place. Brass, Silver (a coin) or poured Pewter can be used or noting at all. The blade is shaped before it goes in the handle but is sharpened afterwards, they do get Razor sharp and stay that way for a good while.
 The one in the bottom Pic I use clean Squirrels with and can go through quite a few before a stropping. It started out as a 9 X 1 X 5/64"  "Dewalt" saw blade.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:09:39 PM by Tim Crosby »