Author Topic: Calvary Longrifles Gun Building class  (Read 4357 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Calvary Longrifles Gun Building class
« on: September 14, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the 1st gun building class at my shop in Alabama.

Travis Brown with one of Dennis's Gillespie rifles. Travis is working in my shop as an apprentice and doing a great job. Joe Olsen is in the picture and he is one of the students in the class working on a fowler.

Joe Olsen working on his fowler.

Boyde Staley working on his Issac Haines.

Travis Brown work on his Lancaster.

Here are a few rifles that I built and a few originals that I have on display for the class to look at.

I will post some more pictures as the class progresses.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:09:15 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline FALout

Re: Calvary Longrifles Gun Building class
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 02:24:54 AM »
Great way to build and learn with those rifles right there to look at and compare.
Bob

Online sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:41:58 AM »
Looks like a fun learning experience.  I may join you next time. I also look forward to the show in North Alabama in January.  Tim

B Staley

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 04:01:22 AM »
My inleting skills need to improve .....:)

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »
Congratulations on having a successful class, Bama.  This is the best way to learn... Hands on, with originals to look at, plus an instructor with experience... What more could one ask for?  Makes me wish Iowa were closer to Alabama.  ;)

54ball

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »
 Classes like this are great for the aspiring builder.  Lodging and meals were provided. Mr. Parker opened up his shop and his home for this class. I for one know that I'm much more skilled and confident today than I was just  four days ago. The education you get is priceless and it's well worth the time and the travel.

So for those that are aspiring builders or if you have a "kit" that has been gathering dust in a closet, I urge you to take advantage of classes like these. The skill, the tips and tricks and the friendship will stay with you for life. Not to mention heirloom you will have as a result.

B Staley

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »
Had a great week in class learned allot and had a grand time, Jim and his wife were great host and went above and beyond for us.

Offline JO49

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 12:50:05 AM »
I second what B Staley said.  I drove all the way down from Minnesota and the class was 100% worth it!  I have a new appreciation for all you members that build rifles.  It takes a variety of skills and "patience" to build a beautiful rifle.  I learned a great deal and enjoyed every minute.  I built a Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler and couldn't be happier with the rifle. 

In addition I was shown what "Southern Hospitality" truly means. In my humble opinion, "Minnesota Nice" has to ways to go.  Jim and his wife are top notch people and have touched my life that I'll remember for ever.

Thank you,

Joe
Semper Fi

Joe